Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Help! 2001 Seadoo Gtx shuts off randomly in water.

Yesterday I took my 01 sea doo gtx out and ran into a problem. When I got to the lake and started riding I got about half to where I was going when my seadoo just shut off. When it shut off, the display turned off as well. Upon hitting the start button again it gave me one long beep and the little red light turned on then back off. However the ski would start right up again after you took the key off the post and hit the start button again only to shut off a few minutes later. It has a brand new battery in it and new plugs too. I read up on this issue earlier today and tried a self diagnostic test where you hit start five times then plug your key in and it gave me two beeps like it was ready to start. Is this maybe a overheating problem? Any help is very appreciated!

+1
    sounds like a bad dess post.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SELF27 View Post
    sounds like a bad dess post.
    X2

If you pull the lanyard and reinstall and it starts and runs good then bad DESS post would be the first thing I would check.

You guys are heros. I took it out today to see if it would do it again but couldn't get it to do it again. Is there a specific way to check if it is the post? Also how costly and difficult would it be to replace the post?

+1
    there alittle over 100.00 for switch part# 278002774. and you will need to buy the terminal ends also. I think its three female terminals and one male. 4 tec should use all four wires from dess post. not to bad to install just remove handlebar cover, grip(left side only) and loosen start/stop switch housing (3mm allen) up so you can open bar cover up. remove dess post nut with some needle nose. disconnect wiring connector and remove orange locking tabs. you can release terminals with pick or small screwdriver. remove wire. I like to pull harness up out of hull to make as straight as possiable. then pull wires out leaving sheave through steering column. now take wires of new post and tape or heatshrink together. I like to spray silicone spray from top until it comes out bottom, then push wires through. oneec through remove tape or heatshrink, cut to correct length and install terminal ends. then just install in housings and connect, and reassemble everything terminal ends are part# 278000632 x3 and 278000631 x1.

Replaced post today and my machine still shut off. Any more ideas?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    check the connection at the front of the motor where the plug connects to the magneto. you may have a short there or a bad connection. also check your ground. if you ride in saltwater im sure its corroded and needs replaced. if it was over heating it would be beeping at you so I dont think that that is your issue. its electrical.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    check the connection at the front of the motor where the plug connects to the magneto. you may have a short there or a bad connection. also check your ground. if you ride in saltwater im sure its corroded and needs replaced. if it was over heating it would be beeping at you so I dont think that that is your issue. its electrical.
    Is there a way to check the connection at the front without pulling it? I'm not really sure where it is at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Is there a way to check the connection at the front without pulling it? I'm not really sure where it is at all.
    Any updates on your problem ? How long have you had the machine ?

+1
    My machine did that, unfortunately it was not DESS post. The sequence is exact to when my motor first seized from lube failure on the water.

I got back to base, checked a ton of stuff and it wasnt until I went out next time that it went a few minutes then totally died, never to restart, would just crank over

Keep going along your path of checking DESS but check motor compression also - will remove any doubt of something mech related which it can easily be

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information