Ocean Pro head and carbs for 95 SLX??

I am looking at buying an SLX 780 that has ocean pro heads and carbs. Supposedly owner just rebuilt top end, carbs and fuel pump (himself). Are these mods good? Bad? indifferent?? I am reading something about not being able to use auto gas?????

Also looking at a 96 slx started hard, but ran great once started. That has aftermarket air cleaners, I think ocean pro also. Supposedly a shop "cleaned the carbs" whatever they mean by that.

two very different priced machines, by about 600.00. Leaning toward the expensive one but not real sure if the work is good.. any advice from the pros??? Thanks.

EDIT: I will be looking at the rebuilt ski tomorrow. Planning to check voltage but do not have a compression tester. ANything else to look for?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! Get a compression tester. You will use it even after you purchase a ski. Should be able to get one for around $20 at any auto parts store. The compression of the motor will be an indication of what type of gas you will need. The 780s should have a compression of around 140 psi per cylinder. Ocean pro flame arrestors (air cleaners) are not necessarily after market. A lot of Polaris machines came with these as stock. There will be plenty of maintenance items to be performed once you get the skis. Plan on putting several hundred $$ into them.

What years are they and what are the asking prices?

More info here: Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com

95 and 96 are the years. prices 2100 and 1500. 95 (ocean pro) turned over and ran nice. Im getting that one. I do need to check voltage output though. Battery was supposedly going dead after using. Owner says its bad battery but I want to make sure its not the charging system. Thanks for the post.

+1
    Did you get a chance to ride it?

Y I rode the 95 and it was nice. I used to have the exact same one back in about 97. Ran smooth seemed to have good power. I foolishly forgot my voltmeter. I am going back with $$ though and will test then. If the charging system is bad, I would assume the stator/magneto is bad. Is that part still available anywhere or what are options if its not? Thanks!! I have a feeling I will be posting here or at least checking things out..

+1
    The stators are available used on ebay usually ~ $75 - 100. You may also have a bad LR module which is the rectifier which actually provides the charging power for the battery from the via the stator. Used LRs are also available usually ~ $20-40.

Thread Information