+1

2001 Virage TXi leaking oil out the back

There was oil in the bottom of the ski and I thought I had fixed the oil tank with a O-ring. With the motor running I noticed the PTO had a lot of oil on it. See the Pic of the 2 springs that came of some how. I have not tried to put the spring back on because I'm not shure how to put them back on. Any help would be great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loose springs in 1200.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	304467

Banned User
    +1
    The seal lip appears damaged to me. Time to tear it down and replace the crank seals.......

+1
    so the lip is the inside most part of the seal? I looked on the STP site and it looks like one of the springs goes around that inter most seal it that correct? This will be a major undertaking just to replace the seal. I think it had 130 to 135 psi in each piston. What else should one due if indead this is what I do? Like a car if I keep oil in it will it keep running with out any harm to the motor? THX

Banned User
    +1
    Your bigger concern is that seal allowing air into the engine and leaning out that cylinder. That can make your engine go boom.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would expect those rear crank seals are damaged and need replacement. Yes, you have to basically strip the entire engine down, after removing it from the hull.

The crank cases halves must be split in order to properly get at that seal. If you want to install the revised dual seals then now would be the time to do so.

I recently had an engine failure directly caused by a torn rear crank seal. Moisture and grit got into the bearing and over time rusted and contaminated the bearing. Bearing then seized within minutes of putting the machine in the water the next time it was launched.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I would expect those rear crank seals are damaged and need replacement. Yes, you have to basically strip the entire engine down, after removing it from the hull.

The crank cases halves must be split in order to properly get at that seal. If you want to install the revised dual seals then now would be the time to do so.

I recently had an engine failure directly caused by a torn rear crank seal. Moisture and grit got into the bearing and over time rusted and contaminated the bearing. Bearing then seized within minutes of putting the machine in the water the next time it was launched.
    Well that is what needs to be done. Is there any gidlines what to check or do if I go this far? I have 4 TXis this one has 97 hr on it. One has 75 97 115 and 156hr. I thought I would keep the ones with less hours on them if everything else is even about them. I will make a XL chart with compression and hours on each and other issues they may have.

+1
    I would have not know it was leaking if I had not taken off the shield that goes over the PTO. As we all know the oil tank leaks and one could have just thought this was where the leak was comming from.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    I would have not know it was leaking if I had not taken off the shield that goes over the PTO. As we all know the oil tank leaks and one could have just thought this was where the leak was comming from.
    Yet another reason to keep the hull interior clean.

And another reason to spend the time and actually repair the 'little unimportant things' that may prevent you from noticing something 'important'.

It is entirely possible to have zero oil leaks and a clean hull interior, and have it stay that way with basic maintenance and cleaning.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    ... I have 4 TXis this one has 97 hr on it. One has 75 97 115 and 156hr. I thought I would keep the ones with less hours on them if everything else is even about them.

I will make a XL chart with compression and hours on each and other issues they may have.
    Frankly, 'everything else' is never quite the same between different machines, even if they were made on the same day at the factory and owned by the same people from new.

Each machine will develop its own service history and unique issues over time. Common issues do occur of course, but so do individual engine problems and differences.

Do not rely excessively on low engine hours as a proxy for engine health. Yes, as the running hours accumulate the crank case bearings wear and the cylinder walls rub the piston rings, the crank shaft seals wear and the engine gets 'looser'.

The rate these aging factors progress varies from machine to machine. Different 2-stroke oils, different riding conditions, different riding styles, different gasoline grades (ethanol), different storage conditions, and so on all affect the 'lifespan' of the engine between rebuilds.

Certainly cylinder compression is a useful indicator for the actual wear conditions inside the engine. It is an indicator, not a guarantee, of the current state of internal wear and a proxy for the potential remaining longevity.

Compression does not tell you the precise condition of the crank bearings or the shaft seals. You can extrapolate that the bearings and seals are wearing at a rate similar to the piston rings and cylinder walls (which define the measured compression pressures).

An engine leak down test can confirm whether the shaft seals are still capable of sealing to the shaft.

Thread Information