Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Virage TXi flywheel magnets?

I have a old flywheel that a magnets came off. I am going to use some OMC epoxy glue that they use to put them back on. My question is there is one magnet that has a small chip off of it. Is that enough to have a problem? I know there is the better flywheel for the 140s but I need to get this thing running and sold before the end of the summer. THX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	304468

Banned User
    +1
    And you feel OK about selling something with a possibly compromised part on it?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure you get the magnet polarity correct. I have my doubts about the longevity of a repaired flywheel.

My suggestion is to find an intact replacement flywheel rather than trying to fix yours

+1
    I have this one and one that all but one magnets are losse on. I can glue 5 back on one ore glue one on the other if the one magnets that has a chip on it does not matter. I was told by non jetski people that this would not effect the performance. I dont want to sell something that I know will not work or give people problems that is why I am aking the question. With that logic one could asl Polaris why did they offer a flywheel in 2000 that was inferior to one that seadoo made in 1992. I have looked at them side by side and would have thought Polaris would have done the same and made one that did not have this problem. If I re glue the magnets with the OMC stuff it seems I would be selling a part that is less prone to come apart. That is how I feel about selling a "possibly compromised part" and that is more than Polaris did.

+1
    [QUOTE=K447;2192967]Make sure you get the magnet polarity correct. I have my doubts about the longevity of a repaired flywheel.

It seems that they have a notch in one end of the flywheel and as long as they are the right distance "it seem" they would work ok.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Make sure you get the magnet polarity correct. I have my doubts about the longevity of a repaired flywheel.
    It seems that they have a notch in one end of the flywheel and as long as they are the right distance "it seem" they would work ok.
    The small chips in the magnet will not affect the operation of the flywheel or the stator.

Note that the magnet polarity is critical, install any of the magnets backwards and the electrical output of the stator will be significantly reduced.

Also note that magnets can reduce their magnetic strength if the are subject to impact, physical shock or significant heat. Weak magnets will also reduce the electrical output of the stator.

+1
    Well I did it again got a my 6th Virage last night. I was told it hd a blown motor but I thought what if it had the magnet come lose and jam things up. I was close. the bendex it blew up and sent one of the bearings in the flywheel to mees things up but not as bad as I thought looks like the bendex and the crank Position Sensor 2410128 got eaten up so bad it jamed the flywheel stuck. Now the good news it anly has 30 hr on it. I will be checking the fuel pressure today and taking the stator out and cleaning thing up real good. Does the 800 run rougher than the 1200 so parts fail quicker on it? Is this flywheel still useable?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800 di flywheel.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	304972

+1
    I have repaired these in the past with good luck. I did the one in my 02 Virage TXI & it lasted me 3 seasons & I sold it & never saw it again, & the second is in the Genisis I am currently running.
    Make sure the area is VERY clean use brake cleaner or similar to be sure there is no oil & scuff the area w/ sandpaper you want a good bond. & make sure you get it in the same place.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I have repaired these in the past with good luck. I did the one in my 02 Virage TXI & it lasted me 3 seasons & I sold it & never saw it again, & the second is in the Genisis I am currently running.
    Make sure the area is VERY clean use brake cleaner or similar to be sure there is no oil & scuff the area w/ sandpaper you want a good bond. & make sure you get it in the same place.

What did you do the repair with?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Also make sure you install the magnet with the magnetic polarity the correct way around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information