Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question 1999 Genesis Ficht will start and idle but dies when throttled up

Hi guys, I just bought this machine. It's a 99 polaris genesis 1200 ficht engine.

It will start right up and idle rough but if you touch the throttle it dies. I have been able to feather the throttle and rev it up a little but that's it.

I have been reading a bunch on these motors the past couple days and so far I have checked the fuel pressure per k447'S instructions and that checked out fine. Compression is around 145 in all three cylinders.

I have the correct plugs on order and they will be here on the 26th.

I have checked the tps and as far a a I can tell it's working. I checked it by pushing the lever by hand and getting a response. If there is a more detailed way of checking it I haven't found it yet. Do the tps units go out intermittently or is it all or nothing? When I press it by hand the motor tries to rev up but dies just like when I press the throttle.

If anyone can tell me of something else I can try while I'm waiting for the plugs to get here I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by K447; 06-26-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    TPS can go bad with a bunch of different symptoms. The only useful test is to install a new or known good TPS.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    not having the correct plugs can cause all sorts of problems as well. Don't chase your tail. get a TPS ( also good to have a spare!) and once the correct plugs are in well see where that goes.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will order a tps today. Will update once the new plugs and tps are installed.

Ok, got the new tps installed with no change. Then put in the correct plugs and got a little change. Pulled each coil and cleaned the contacts to bare metal and reinstalled. Still no luck.
    I posted a video on YouTube of it running. Maybe it will help.

The only thing I can think to try next is change the fuel. I just bought the ski so I have no idea how old it is. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again for the help

+1
    Hmmm. Change the fuel, at least so we can know the problem is not being made worse by bad fuel.

Drain out the old fuel, then put in at least half a tank of fresh fuel. At least 89 octane, higher octane if it is available. Non-ethanol gasoline if it is available.

There will still be old fuel in the fuel system so it will take some time to flush it out and mix in with the fresh fuel. This is why you need plenty of fresh gasoline to dilute the old stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130626_191629.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	304955I will replace the gas as recommended tomorrow. Question about the coils. When I took them off one had some bushings in between the coil and the head. The others didn't. Since I figured the goal was to ground t he could to the head I left the bushings off when installed. Should the bushings be there? Also does this engine have reeds like the carburetor engines do?
    Last edited by Grumsey; 06-26-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Add photo

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumsey View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130626_191629.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	304955

I will replace the gas as recommended tomorrow.

Question about the coils. When I took them off one had some bushings in between the coil and the head. The others didn't. Since I figured the goal was to ground the could to the head I left the bushings off when installed. Should the bushings be there?

Also does this engine have reeds like the carburetor engines do?
    Bushings are there to provide some cushioning for the coil against engine heat and vibration. It allows the coil body to not crack if the coil material needs to expand due to heat. Looks like someone had the coils off before you and lost the other fibre bushings.

In the Ficht section of my signature links there are details on repositioning the fiber washer to allow a better ignition coil ground to the cylinder head boss.

These engines are mechanically much the same as the carb 2-stroke engines, including having intake reeds.

I haven't had any time to work on the ski lately since we are moving soon. I had a little time tonight and I had the idea to check the spark. I shot a video of my test. Tell me what you guys think. It seems to be shutting it self off mid rev.

+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information