Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 skis for yamaha exciter ski boat?

So I got an offer to trade my two bastard chilldren two-stroke wave runners (had'em for sale for a while now) for a 96 yamaha exciter twin engine ski boat anyone know anything about these? What to look for if I made the trade? I think the guys crazy my skis are not the best maintained and one has body damaged but his boat is nice, honestly I hate boats but we do have two smaller children and they've never been on a boat and are not too fond of the ski's. the pics of his look great, he said his wife just wants a set of skis. If anything use t for a season and sale it next year. Apprecite the input. My skis are 99gpr760 (still working out trhottle issuses) and XL700 bodydamage but running good now. He wont trade until both are ready to run on water which I understand

+1
    That year exciter has 2 yamaha 1100 engines like what you would find in a WaveRaider 1100 or WaveVenture 1100. pretty reliable engines, but maintaining one 2 stroke pwc is fun and expensive enough...now try 2 in the same vessel. 6 carbs, lots of oil lines, etc. And when/if the engines go bad, your talking 6 pistons maybe, ramble, ramble...point being, things just add up really fast.
    So make sure this exciter is in good shape and he's not trying to flip a pile of crap on you. The thing is 17 years old. There's almost no way it has the original, high quality oem engines in it. More likely someone has poked around fixing them up with crappy parts and maybe replaced them with SBT engines that will blow up after you've put 8-10 hours on the boat.

Yeah I was gonna do the normal compression check and over heat test but I'm almost done with PWC's all together I just don't have the time and money to keep things running I guess. Just got back from the beach my (new to me) 04 FX HO cruiser decided to only put out half the power today, after spending three hours with my arm down the side trying to find which hose popped off, then when I got it in the water no take off at all but with WOT it will eventually pull up to 30 but that's about it. I dont know maybe it was the gallons of water that got in th hull while I was getting pommeld by crazy chop trying to find the exhuast hose that popped off. I'm not 19 any more and just tried of working on stuff all the time, so maybe I'll pass on the skiboat unless its imacuulate and I can ride it for a week or two then sale it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    That year exciter has 2 yamaha 1100 engines like what you would find in a WaveRaider 1100 or WaveVenture 1100. pretty reliable engines, but maintaining one 2 stroke pwc is fun and expensive enough...now try 2 in the same vessel. 6 carbs, lots of oil lines, etc. And when/if the engines go bad, your talking 6 pistons maybe, ramble, ramble...point being, things just add up really fast.
    So make sure this exciter is in good shape and he's not trying to flip a pile of crap on you. The thing is 17 years old. There's almost no way it has the original, high quality oem engines in it. More likely someone has poked around fixing them up with crappy parts and maybe replaced them with SBT engines that will blow up after you've put 8-10 hours on the boat.
    Just like Cutlass said ,those engines are no way original and if you gonna use it for two weeks you put 20 hours or more on a 17 year old boat.
    Ill pass if i where you, sell the ski´s without trading ,trading will almost every time end bad for one involved.

So general conensus is stay clear of them? yeah I guess it ws just tempting since it was so clean.

+1
    Unless the guy can tell you he just rebuilt both engines with new OEM quality parts (crank, pistons, gaskets, Mikuni carb kits)...then pass. His story about the boat and why he wants to trade it and how much he's spent fixing and maintaining it better be good or I'd pass. Its worth looking into. The only other way I'd buy/trade one is if I had a bunch of money to spend and wanted a project (labor of love). And I do that once in a while.

I see where your coming from but my gp760 is only two years newer and it has original engine, up until this spring ran great. I probably want even be checking it out I still can't get the gp to run right.

+1
    Missed the part of the gp760 running bad ,trading both ski´s one with engine probs and the other with body damage could be a good trade if the exciter is spotless and running like a charm.
    But the guy want two good running ski´s ,so you have to put labor and maybe money in de 760 to get it running good, when you fixed the 760 you have two good running ski´s, when one fails you always have another to ride.
    Like Cutlass mentioned the Exicter has two engine´s that are connected and basically keep each other alive ,an oil pump failure will destroy 2 engines at the time for example.
    If you don´t have the money to maintain two ski´s you better not invest in two ski´s in one boat if you know what i mean.
    But´s is your call ,i´ve never seen the boat or hear it running so i can´t tell you what to do, only give my 2 cts.

I've been working on the gp760 all weekend and earlier last week. So getting really frustrated with it. That why I was happy to pick up my 04 fx ho fuel injected, last year, but I've never had this issuse with the gp that I'm having now normally its a simple carb kit and it's up and going again, I blew through the lines this morning to make sure nothing was clogged. Now I've lost all high end power maxes out at 20mph after a long bog I forgot to look at rpms guess I'll try to record it tomorrow and see. compression still at 150/145

I came from outboards/inboards to jet ski`s, seapoo`s and yamaha`s (yamaha still gets my vote) if you have an opportunity to get the boat and the boat runs well, go for it!
    I did the same, sold my ski, bought a boat, did a ton of work, but that`s my story, all I can say is water test, water test!!!

Boats can be fun. maybe you`ll have a good one for a while. parts are plentiful, and so what if the engines were replaced, your working on a few duds right now...
    just go over the boat with a fine tooth comb and make your decision!...

find a forum exclusive to the yamaha jet boats and you`ll learn a lot...

Family time on the boat is priceless...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 06-23-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information