12 VX Cruiser first oil change issue......wtf?

So I did my first oil change at 8 hours, oe oil & filter. Got it warm, sucked the oil out and marked on the container the exact amount that came out. I emptied the container and filled it with the new oil to the exact line and refilled after changing the filter. I did NOT add any more oil to compensate for what was lost from the filter, as I figured I would add that as needed after the fact. Before I changed the oil, the dipstick read 3/4 full cold. Once warm, it read just a hair over full. After I did the oil change and warmed it back up, I was waaaaay over full. How is this possible? I put back less than what was lost and now it reads more? I work on cars for a living, so I do have a clue to what Im doing, but this is puzzling me. Its my first 4 stroke ski and Im hoping someone here knows something I dont! Any help is appreciated, I dont want to ruin my expensive air filter over this.

+1
    my 2011 VX Deluxe did the same. I ended up running it on the water hose then correcting the oil level after I ran for a few minutes. I think I sucked out about 8 ounces.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yamahas are tricky on oil levels. I go short, then run the on the hose for a couple of minutes then recheck and top off. Too much oil is realllly bad. You need to run the engine first to get as much oil as possible into the oil tank. That's whjere you'r overflow came from.

hull has to be level ( use a level, it's hard to eyeball) and adjust trailer jack to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    yamahas are tricky on oil levels. I go short, then run the on the hose for a couple of minutes then recheck and top off. Too much oil is realllly bad. You need to run the engine first to get as much oil as possible into the oil tank. That's whjere you'r overflow came from.

hull has to be level ( use a level, it's hard to eyeball) and adjust trailer jack to suit.
    This is good to know as I just picked up my 1st Yami

Thread Information