Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap tricks

13xracing - aka 427racing 13xracing's Avatar

Cheap tricks

As most of you know by now, I am kind of a cheap a$$. I have raced for a 3-4 years now and have been tinkering with skis for around 15 years.

Here are some cheap racing mods that will run you under $75. Racing. This may not apply to rec, unless you want the race look. Go easy on me now.

The first is the steering. I have always had UMI and am actually sponsered by them. But with the ultra 250 running upwards of $682, the 15f coumln will come in handy, with a less than $50 investment on a used column. Mine was courtesy of Skip (he will be missed in the forums) but they are out there. This will give us some extra time to save up for the UMI.
    The trim was bought at a local auto body supply store for $30. Its got to be a 'auto body' store, you'll have trouble finding it at a 'parts' store. Anyhow, the Rivets are IMCA racing rivets that come in black, blue, red, white, aluminum, etc, for $9. Total of about $40. Other trim can run upwards of $200.
    I will be working on other stuff soon, but just thought I'd throw it out there. If its not for you, read another thread and spare me the comments. Just wanting to help some guys out that are on a budget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1198.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	899.9 KB 
ID:	17784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1233.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	17785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1234.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	17786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1227.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	17787  

+1
    I love that racy look but want to run my boat recreationally.
    I'm loving the looks of the off shore steering system and hope it makes it's way to the states.
    I hope you can pass some info from Skip to the boards, his input will be missed. I loved his eagerness into modding the 250.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

ride plate

Well my ski is in pieces in the garage waiting on a few things(GK ride plate for one). I tried to get some info from the Diablo website, I dont know if its just me or what but I cant get around on that site, and they seem to be the only ones with a prop.
    Last edited by Aquaholic6801; 03-04-2007 at 02:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1

STXR and 15F have same steering nozzles as 250X

A few observations after doing some checking on my 250X:

The 12F,15F and STXR steering nozzles will all fit onto the pump venturi of the 250X, so we can possibly try out some old ones to see if the inner diameters are any different and have an effect on the 250X speed numbers.
    I know I have an extended "Performance Engineering" steering nozzle that I would like to try out on my 250X next week.

Also:

Looks like the sponsons from the 15F and 12F will fit on the 250X if anyone has some time to swap them out and post their impressions.

Thanks for hi jacking my thread. Oh well it sucked anyway.

Thanks for getting back on topic Kawi. I've been finding alot of cross over parts too.
    Last edited by 13xracing; 03-04-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi-Guy View Post
    A few observations after doing some checking on my 250X:

The 12F,15F and STXR steering nozzles will all fit onto the pump venturi of the 250X, so we can possibly try out some old ones to see if the inner diameters are any different and have an effect on the 250X speed numbers.
    I know I have an extended "Performance Engineering" steering nozzle that I would like to try out on my 250X next week.

Also:

Looks like the sponsons from the 15F and 12F will fit on the 250X if anyone has some time to swap them out and post their impressions.
    That's good news, if these parts can truely be swapped over I say kudos to Kawi.

Sometimes you'll want different sponsons for heavier or lighter riders.

the good news is that if the other parts will fit, so will their aftermarket replacements. ie Skat Trak nozzle/veture, etc.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    The venturi seems a bit different where it mates up ( the ring inside it is thinner) so that one you will have to try out and see.

+1
    Okay,
    talked to Skip today on the phone, and he is wanting to get this boat headed in the right direction. This whole idea of openly sharing your thoughts on a forum without retribution is a tad new to him, and I'd say to a few others as well. This was handled between him and I on the phone. Like two humans should. He requested I delete all this, so that we can move on. I feel it's a great idea.

The post are still there, and are hidden. All of them. If you have a problem with the ways things are handled, I suggest you PM the management while it is fresh in your mind, (Green Hulk, Mike Trin, or any of the mods) and express yourself.

Otherwise it's onward and upward.

+1
    Cool, now where are some more cheap modifications for the 250?!?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information