Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First time buyer need help

I recently took my friends 09 fzr out and absolutely loved it. I am looking into getting a 2013 now, the two models I am interested in are the fzs and fx sho cruiser. Can someone tell me the differences between the two? I know the sho has more features and a different hull but how do they perform differently? I was basically told the fzs is a sports car and the sho is a Cadillac . Has anyone had experience with both of these?

i am a single male looking to go out and have fun, pull people, open ocean and bay. I'm in Virginia beach and would like something that will perform best in all environments .

i was given a price of 14529 for everything out the door for a 2013 fzs out the door,not sure if that's good or not.

also I read issues on bucking, what would I need to prevent that from happening? I've read posts about r&d or riva grate.

thanks

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Welcome to GH. I have owned a 09 FZS and now have a 13 FX SHO (not the cruiser).
    The FX has cruise and a no-wake mode which I like very much. The FX cruiser has a couple more tech things like water temp. I just don't care for the cruiser seats.
    As far a ride on water, I have to say the FX may be a little smoother, but that FX at 140+" is huge which adds to the smoother ride. A very stable 3 passenger.
    Not sure if the '13 FZS has the newer hull design or not. The FX handles very nicely and predictable.
    My '09 FZS was an awesome boat. Loved it. Very nice 3 passenger and very stable. It seemed to be a little quicker handling and acceleration was quicker than the larger '13 FX.
    If you go with the FZ, get an R&D intake grate to help prevent the bucking issue.
    I have never heard of a bucking issue with the FX.
    Either model is a great machine and as far as price goes, just shop around some. The 2014 models usually come out in late August or early September.

I've owned both skis. I would choose the FZS. It cuts corners better and has better acceleration. The FX SHO is more comfortable but that's not what a jet ski is about. Also the SHO has more features that I rarely used.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Capertrj View Post
    I know the sho has more features and a different hull but how do they perform differently?
    Typically, most people buy the SHO hull if they are going to be riding in a lot of rough water or carrying passengers. The FZ series is no slouch in the rough, but the FX series has a little better ride when the wind comes up. The new version of the FX hull was recently made even better for this; I think they updated it in 2012, they also made it longer.

also I read issues on bucking, what would I need to prevent that from happening? I've read posts about r&d or riva grate.
    The FZ series has had reports of some bucking issues/injuries, but this has been easily resolved with the R&D intake grate for around $200.

One of the most recent reports of bucking was from a guy who claims he had this happen to his 2012 FX SHO Cruiser on July 21, 2012 (this dude only made one post, then split). But overall, this seems to be very rare on the FX series and it's possible these skis were made in 2011. I don't think we have seen any bucking reports here on any of the newer models since then. The reports started going down in 2012, and I don't think anyone has reported a buck on any 2013 model (so far).

Does this mean the bucking issue was fixed by Yamaha at some point in 2012? No one knows; we don't have enough data and no one has done any scientific testing on it. The only thing we can do is point you to the reports and we do strongly suggest the grate swap on the FZ models.

You can see the post #427 here on the bucking thread, for what it's worth:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...138148&page=43
    Last edited by YoYamma; 06-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by powerplay motorsports View Post
    I've owned both skis. I would choose the FZS. It cuts corners better and has better acceleration. The FX SHO is more comfortable but that's not what a jet ski is about. Also the SHO has more features that I rarely used.
    So, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but may I offer a little different opinion.

I would actually opt for the SHO (not necessarily the cruiser). For what he wants to do, it may offer him more.

1. For off-shore riding, it has a better hull.
    2. For towing it's better
    3. If he has or will eventually get a girlfriend, the FX will be a much better platform for 2-up riding.
    4. I know there is a comparison of a Cadillac and a sports car out there, but I beg to differ. The SHO can be a very fun and sporty watercraft. Acceleration will only differ slightly between the two.

The way I see it is the FZ is a very nice ski if you want to do 1-up riding is mild to low chop and is definitely a better and funner ski for that. The FX can be used in pretty much any condition and will be much more versatile overall.

Is there a big difference in cruiser vs fx sho?

+1
    Seat, pop up cleats, few more gauge functions - compass, air and water temp, instant fuel mileage, etc.

+1
    I love my FX Cruiser SHO. It is so comfortable and it is for sure no slouch!!!! The FZS do ride differently and are more sporty. The Cruiser is so comfortable. I got out at the lake 9am today before it got busy and rode for about 3 hours. I set the cruise at about 4700 to 5100 rpm foor the best mileage and cruise!!!!! That is about 30 mph and it is great having cruise and the FX hull! It was a great relaxed as peaceful morning ride.

If you have not driven and do not have a lot of experience with skis, and you get the FX SHO it will feel like an absolute rocket to you. I do take out my family's FZS every once in a while and it is a fun ski. I do a lot of cruising so I like the SHO much better. However, when the wife is not on it and I want to play it is a blast for me! I rhink the FX Cruiser is a great all around ski and will run with anything stock for stock.

So it seems the fx is better for day trips/adventures. I was more curious about the handling/ acceleration difference in the two which seems to be very minor. I guess upgrades could always help with acceleration.

+1
    Make sure you at least sit on the cruiser seat before you buy it though, my wife and I absolutely hated the seat when we were testing skis before we bought the FZS. The cruiser seat is love it or hate it IMO, you may love but if you don't you'll definitely be happier with the reg SHO seat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information