+1

Drive shaft through-hull bearings; greasing frequency and grease quantity

i just got a pair of polaris virage i 800 jet skis and the guy i got them from greased the impeller shaft every time he went out with about 10 pumps each he said

so i would like to know if that is too much or not enuf thanks ben
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    ten is WAY too many. I advise a single shot of grease after each outing or two ( if salt water then every outing), ten pumps will likely blow out the seals and then you'll be needing ten pumps every time..which makes a huge mess

oh yeah..welcome to the hulk. check polairs tips at the signature link...and thank K447 for putting that valueable info togteher.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is this a salt water machine? Do you rde in salt water?

For freshwater operation, one or two pumps of the grease gun per month might be enough. Really depends on how many hours you are putting on the machine and whether the water is salty.

Ten pumps of grease is simply pumping it right past the drive shaft seals. If it wasn't squeezing gobs of grease out into the hull underneath the coupler then it was going out the back into the jet pump tunnel, and then into the lake water. That would be called water pollution.

Normally the through-hull bearing carrier is full of water proof lithium grease. Pumping additional grease is simply to replace any grease that has oozed out during normal operation, and to squeeze out any water that may have worked itself past the rear seals.

Note that pumping the grease in too fast or too hard can simply blow the seals out. Once that happens you need to replace the seals.

If that was my machine I would simply rebuild the through-hull assembly, grease it properly, then be moderate with the addition of more grease over time.

Banned User
    +1
    I dont think pumping too much grease will blow the seals out. The springs face the outside of the seal carrier, so the grease would be flowing out easily. If the seals were oriented in the other direction, then I would see a problem. The Polaris manual states to pump grease until it flows out of the seal carrier.

+1
    thank u guys for all the information on greasing the bearings and i dont ride in salt water i live in wisconsin and i was going to rebuild/replace the bearings and seals on both of them this winter along with some mods on the 04 which is mine and leave the 02 alone as a stock one thanks again ben

Thread Information