0 compression - What to check?

Hi all,
    My brother has a 99 XL1200L that I will be troubleshooting when I get to the lake. It was running rough so he took it in and they said there is 0 compression in one cylinder. I plan to pull the head and see what the issue is. Just thinking ahead, assuming a piston needs to be replaced, if I decide to tackle that job, what on the fuel system needs to be checked to keep this from happening again?

Thanks!
    Dshow

+1
    pre mix and delete oil injection..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshow View Post
    Hi all,
    What to check?
    Dshow
    For a very big hole in the piston, severely damaged cylinder and debris in the crank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshow View Post
    (edit)...what on the fuel system needs to be checked to keep this from happening again?
    The complete fuel system from the pickup inside the gas tank, fuel filter (replace it) to the most important part which is to completely rebuild the carbs, including new needle and seats. (Genuine Mikuni kits highly suggested) Needle and seats have to be bought separately as they are not included in the kits.

Take a look in the "sticky" section for info on carb rebuilding.

Today's gas with the ethanol mix eats the gas lines on the inside as well as gunks them up so you will most likely need to replace all of them also...better to anyway, they are 14 years old now.

Thanks for the responses...

So, just got back from the lake and pulled the head...

The front cylinder has eroded toward the exhaust manifold, the other pistons looked great. A little history... About 8 yrs ago, I had the head milled so it required 93 octane. There is a possibility they put regular fuel in it... They said they caught it and drained the fuel, but I don't know if this would have contributed to this issues. Any thoughts on what caused this?

What's my best option?
    I can get an SBT top end kit which has the 3 jugs and pistons for ~$700 or I can get a complete engine with 2 yr warranty for about $2K...

Thanks- Dshow

+1
    You gotta figure out why it crapped out on you first. It looks like it may of snagged a ring on the valve and busted a chunk of the piston. Check your valve for excess play or broken pin then buy some wave eaters. Depending on hours, I would say replace just that jug and piston while looking for debris in the cases.

Thread Information