2003 GP1300R starting issues

On rare occasion I can hit the start button, everything kicks on and i hear the fuel pump as well, but the engine does not even attempt to turn over. I thought my battery was old although my charger says it is still good to go. Last weekend I jumped the battery off on the dock at launch and it ran fine all day long.

I decided to get a new battery and charged up a brand new AGM and stuck it in before hitting the water today. It ran fine most of the day, but it would not crank again for about 20 min. this is after about 2 hours on the water. The kids stopped for a swim of 15 min or so. I had even hooked up to another PWC for a 6 mile tow back to the launch.

the new battery is 325 CCA

I hit the button again while being towed and it fired up and ran good for the rest of the evening.

The display is showing the battery level at 12.7 to 12.9v when it will not crank. I checked the battery once I was home and it tested out good.

Suggestions? Loose wire on the starter? bad solenoid?

+1
    If you put a new battery in and for some reason it goes down say from a bad regulator the battery can recover enough to start the ski after sitting for a wile. You should check voltage when it happens. Also check for a loose wire at time of trouble. When it does not start can you hear any click.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    If you put a new battery in and for some reason it goes down say from a bad regulator the battery can recover enough to start the ski after sitting for a wile. You should check voltage when it happens. Also check for a loose wire at time of trouble. When it does not start can you hear any click.
    No Click, just the sound of the fuel pump running. The battery is charging when it is running. The screen is showing 14v when under power, so I would not think it is in the charging system.

+1
    If you are 100% sure on the charging and you are getting the start signal from the start button to the electrical box then the problem is pointing to the starter relay. But most of the time the starter relay does not come and go. I would look for corroded wiring and loose and bad connections.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    If you are 100% sure on the charging and you are getting the start signal from the start button to the electrical box then the problem is pointing to the starter relay. But most of the time the starter relay does not come and go. I would look for corroded wiring and loose and bad connections.
    Thank you for a starting point

Looks like it was the relay

Thread Information