Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

gp1200r runs normal for a few hundrend feet then goes 3 mph

Just purchased a 2001 gp1200r, problems is the ski starts fine and seems to run fine at first but when I open the throttle it will only go around 40 mph for about 300 feet or so and then it dies right down and will only go around 3 mph. The speed does not change no matter how much throttle I give it. If I let it idle for a few seconds and pump the throttle again it will jump out the water but then starts running rough again almost immediately. Checked the plugs cylinders 1 and 3 are burning great and are dry but the center cylinder plug is wet. I get good strong fire on all plugs though, and it runs normal at first. Anyone have any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by zigp1212 View Post
    Just purchased a 2001 gp1200r, problems is the ski starts fine and seems to run fine at first but when I open the throttle it will only go around 40 mph for about 300 feet or so and then it dies right down and will only go around 3 mph. The speed does not change no matter how much throttle I give it. If I let it idle for a few seconds and pump the throttle again it will jump out the water but then starts running rough again almost immediately. Checked the plugs cylinders 1 and 3 are burning great and are dry but the center cylinder plug is wet. I get good strong fire on all plugs though, and it runs normal at first. Anyone have any ideas
    Check the compression................my buddies gp1200r did the same thing.......some dumbass at jetski unlimited in tempe told him to rebuild the carbs,so he had them(jetski unlimited) do it ,and it ran the same(like shit) he was baffled and pissed off(after paying $392/parts and labor),then they told him he needed a new engine which would be $2300 for a new engine installed,he told them to fuck off..............................he brought the ski over to my house to see what i could do.......I checked the compression first and mag read 20psi the other 2 read 120psi.........badaboom badabing!.........not saying yours has the same problem but I would start with a compression check then go down the list........fuel......spark......lines......electr ical........ect................anyhow I tore the top end down and replaced the rings(honed the cylinder) with new gaskets and had him back on the water the next day....thanks to Jim(the owner) at azjetski that had all the parts in stock

Compression is good and even across all of them. The cat con has not been replaced yet so could that be a possibilty?

I have a plug that is staying wet, it feels like the engine is flooding or like its only running off 2 cylinders after I open the throttle for a few seconds.

I have a plug that is staying wet, it feels like the engine is flooding or like its only running off 2 cylinders after I open the throttle for a few seconds.
    Make sure both inner coupler clamps at the front of the stinger pipe under the outer black boot are in good shape and not broken. If one breaks, it can allow water to run back in the motor and drown out spark.

Unbolt the cat and see if it has broke loose.........if it is........time to d-plate and chip it...........Most likely that is your problem if compression is good across the board and your getting fuel..........i would rebuild the carbs while your at it just to be on the safe side since one of the spark plugs is wet........
    Compression is good and even across all of them. The cat con has not been replaced yet so could that be a possibilty?

I say compression is good, I'm getting 105 psi in all cylinders with all plugs out, servo unhooked and throttle wide open on a cold engine. I know the compression is a little low but I would still think it would be good enough to run but I could be wrong.

Could that cause the middle cylinder to flood out when I hold the throttle wide open?

Also the plugs that are in the ski are br8es and not the br8es-11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information