Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    To buy or not to buy...

    Greetings from deepest darkest Africa. Well not really - South Africa, but close enough !!

    First off thanks to everyone who keeps this forum going. It's been an absolute wealth of info for me

    So i've been working on cruise ships for the last 7 odd years and whenever in the Caribbean or some places in the Med, we tend to find ourselves on the beach hiring jet ski's. Most of the time they are old VX models - pretty typical for rental places I hear - but once in a while they will have something shinny and new. Long story short I've decided recently that I really want to buy my own and get more involved. I have easy access to some great dams near to where I live and there is little to no PWC activity on them even on the busiest days. Problem is, here in SA any kind of PWC is pretty pricy - a 2013 FX SHO is going for around $22000 without a trailer or any extras.... I can pickup a 2011 VX for about $13000, but now, to mix things up, I have been offered a 2009 FX SHO with everything for $11000 out the door. I REALLY like this FXSHO. It has 107 hours and full service history with the agents. Its been modded for fishing slightly (a really big thing here at the moment) but nothing that can't be safely removed. Nice thing is, most of those hours are idling in the ocean. I realize it may be more than I need, but if I want to get serious with this, I dont want to start with something only to have to change it up soon after. And at these prices it can get very expensive. I have not been able to see it in person as I am overseas, but I have had a few friends who know what they are talking about go and take a look and all of them seem pleased with it. The only thing I really dont like are the hull marks. But from what I understand the paint coat is very thin and easily scuffed. Is there any easy way for touchups ? I've tried reading up on it but I cant seem to get much info on the actual paint.

    Is there anything else I should be looking at regarding this specific model ? Any thoughts, advise would be appreciated !

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3399.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	304567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3400.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	304568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3401.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	304569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3402.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	304570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3406.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	304572


  2. #2
    First off be careful with scams overseas. I am a pwc dealer in Florida and I sell many skis overseas and you wouldn't believe the number of people that come to me and got scammed. The next thing is the price, $11000.00 out the door is kind of steep. I sell the same ski for $9900.00 out the door. You shouldn't pay U.S. tax since your over seas. Also see what the shipping costs are and any taxes by your country. These can be expensive. Also if the jet ski comes with a trailer see the regulations on conforming the trailer to SA SPECS. If the trailer is not conformed, customs can take the trailer and the jet ski. As far as the jet ski goes, scuffs on the bottom usually mean the ski has been beached. If this is the case have someone inspect the prop to make sure everything is in order; to make sure the jet ski didn't suck up anything hazardous Also the main heart of a jet ski is compression. get the compression numbers from the cylinders. If the compression is off stay away. As far as touch up goes, the scuffs are too big to use touch up paint, but any body shop guy can spray a little paint on there for 50 bucks. One more thing, on these jet skis, there are water ports on the side make sure water is coming out or else the jet ski will over heat.

    Powerplay Motorsports

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by powerplay motorsports View Post
    First off be careful with scams overseas. I am a pwc dealer in Florida and I sell many skis overseas and you wouldn't believe the number of people that come to me and got scammed. The next thing is the price, $11000.00 out the door is kind of steep. I sell the same ski for $9900.00 out the door. You shouldn't pay U.S. tax since your over seas. Also see what the shipping costs are and any taxes by your country. These can be expensive. Also if the jet ski comes with a trailer see the regulations on conforming the trailer to SA SPECS. If the trailer is not conformed, customs can take the trailer and the jet ski. As far as the jet ski goes, scuffs on the bottom usually mean the ski has been beached. If this is the case have someone inspect the prop to make sure everything is in order; to make sure the jet ski didn't suck up anything hazardous Also the main heart of a jet ski is compression. get the compression numbers from the cylinders. If the compression is off stay away. As far as touch up goes, the scuffs are too big to use touch up paint, but any body shop guy can spray a little paint on there for 50 bucks. One more thing, on these jet skis, there are water ports on the side make sure water is coming out or else the jet ski will over heat.

    Powerplay Motorsports
    Thanks for the reply and concern ! To clarify, I am working with a local Yamaha dealer in SA. No importing. I was converting the cost to USD for comparison. I agree, $11000 is really steep, but not in South Africa. It's actually below average. We have '08 FX SHO Cruisers going for around $13500. Importing was something I had considered, especially that I am based out of the US ( FL as well in fact ) for several months a year, but after importing various products for my car ( Chrysler 300c HEMI ) I did not want to take any kind of chance. Hence I would rather pay the premium to purchase from a dealer back home. In the long run though I will probably get some mod parts while i am in the US and take them home with me.

    It's funny you mention compression, because just before I posted the above, I sent a mail to the dealer asking them if a test had been done - This was after reading about someone with a bad experience here. Can you give me an idea of the sort of values I should be seeing with this age and hours ?

  4. #4
    Pistonwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,595
    +1
    77
    Sawubona Unjani! And Howzit man? Be careful on buying without riding or seeing the ski. I would have one of your friends get a closer look at those beaching scratch marks on the hull and make sure there are no major cracks or if they are deeper than they appear. I would maybe even talk the guy down on price and tell him you will have to have that repaired. You do not want those scratches to get worse...so I would in fact, repair them. 100 hours on the 4 strokes is really not that bad at all, if it has been taken care of with regular oil changes and thorough flushings after Ocean use. You need to have pictures of the inside of the hull also..to see if there is bad corrosion or if hoses, clamps and other internals are deteriorated. Just have your friends make sure everything is bakgat on the ski.

    If you take care of it, it will take care of you when you are riding with some hot cherry on the back...chicks dig jetskis!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Sawubona Unjani! And Howzit man? Be careful on buying without riding or seeing the ski. I would have one of your friends get a closer look at those beaching scratch marks on the hull and make sure there are no major cracks or if they are deeper than they appear. I would maybe even talk the guy down on price and tell him you will have to have that repaired. You do not want those scratches to get worse...so I would in fact, repair them. 100 hours on the 4 strokes is really not that bad at all, if it has been taken care of with regular oil changes and thorough flushings after Ocean use. You need to have pictures of the inside of the hull also..to see if there is bad corrosion or if hoses, clamps and other internals are deteriorated. Just have your friends make sure everything is bakgat on the ski.

    If you take care of it, it will take care of you when you are riding with some hot cherry on the back...chicks dig jetskis!
    Yebo, Sawubona ! Ngiyaphila, wena usaphila? LOL Damm its been a long time since I used that !!
    Yeah, one of my friends who saw it is very into this and marine stuff in general. Owned many ski and boats so I do trust him. Its listed at $11000 (R110000) and I'm going to try for $10000 and have them replaced the seat cover and the gunwale all the way around included. I will probably wait a while and then get the touch ups done on the hull. As far as I understand its all superficial, nothing deep and no signs or cracks or repairs. It has a full service history with the Yamaha dealership and all the receipts to back it up so I am not to worried about that side. It's been checked for corrosion and nothing was found. All this being said I am not there to see it for myself and that worries me, but given whats out there I don't really want to let this go if I can help it....

    You from Zaf land originally ?

  6. #6
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,567
    +1
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperchargedRhino View Post
    It has a full service history with the Yamaha dealership and all the receipts to back it up so I am not to worried about that side. It's been checked for corrosion and nothing was found. All this being said I am not there to see it for myself and that worries me, but given whats out there I don't really want to let this go if I can help it....
    I don't blame you for being worried, you're paying top dollar for a used unit without a warranty. Has it been water tested by your friend? Did they start the engine and run it at full operating speed? Compression test is a good idea; you can probably hire a certified mechanic to inspect this unit, including a test ride and give you a written report. 107 hrs is not bad, but I personally would not buy any PWC like this without knowing the results of a test ride at full operating speed/rpm's and temps.

    Yamaha has also just introduced a certified pre-owned program which gives you a warranty on used inventory; you can scroll down to find a dealer; not sure if this is applicable in your country, but you can at least inquire about it...

    http://www.yamahawaverunners.com/certified-pre-owned

  7. #7
    NOIDEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    230
    +1
    18
    It is nice to see another South African on GH! Skis are very expensive in SA compared to the US. This is a great site with allot of people always willing to help and share their knowledge.

  8. #8
    Pistonwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,595
    +1
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperchargedRhino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Sawubona Unjani! And Howzit man? Be careful on buying without riding or seeing the ski. I would have one of your friends get a closer look at those beaching scratch marks on the hull and make sure there are no major cracks or if they are deeper than they appear. I would maybe even talk the guy down on price and tell him you will have to have that repaired. You do not want those scratches to get worse...so I would in fact, repair them. 100 hours on the 4 strokes is really not that bad at all, if it has been taken care of with regular oil changes and thorough flushings after Ocean use. You need to have pictures of the inside of the hull also..to see if there is bad corrosion or if hoses, clamps and other internals are deteriorated. Just have your friends make sure everything is bakgat on the ski.

    If you take care of it, it will take care of you when you are riding with some hot cherry on the back...chicks dig jetskis!
    Yebo, Sawubona ! Ngiyaphila, wena usaphila? LOL Damm its been a long time since I used that !!
    Yeah, one of my friends who saw it is very into this and marine stuff in general. Owned many ski and boats so I do trust him. Its listed at $11000 (R110000) and I'm going to try for $10000 and have them replaced the seat cover and the gunwale all the way around included. I will probably wait a while and then get the touch ups done on the hull. As far as I understand its all superficial, nothing deep and no signs or cracks or repairs. It has a full service history with the Yamaha dealership and all the receipts to back it up so I am not to worried about that side. It's been checked for corrosion and nothing was found. All this being said I am not there to see it for myself and that worries me, but given whats out there I don't really want to let this go if I can help it....

    You from Zaf land originally ?
    Nope..I lived there for a year back in the 90's...you will love your ski and it will be fun for years to come. I would also say make sure you like that particular model and if it does what your intended purposes are. Are you going to take people? Tow skiers? Is it gonna be in the Ocean. That SHO is a great jetski, no kidding. You will love it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperchargedRhino View Post
    It has a full service history with the Yamaha dealership and all the receipts to back it up so I am not to worried about that side. It's been checked for corrosion and nothing was found. All this being said I am not there to see it for myself and that worries me, but given whats out there I don't really want to let this go if I can help it....
    I don't blame you for being worried, you're paying top dollar for a used unit without a warranty. Has it been water tested by your friend? Did they start the engine and run it at full operating speed? Compression test is a good idea; you can probably hire a certified mechanic to inspect this unit, including a test ride and give you a written report. 107 hrs is not bad, but I personally would not buy any PWC like this without knowing the results of a test ride at full operating speed/rpm's and temps.

    Yamaha has also just introduced a certified pre-owned program which gives you a warranty on used inventory; you can scroll down to find a dealer; not sure if this is applicable in your country, but you can at least inquire about it...

    http://www.yamahawaverunners.com/certified-pre-owned
    I received a reply from Yamaha on Friday saying the pre-owned program is only available in the US. Thanks for the advice to try though. I just paid a deposit on the ski subject to a full test ride and further inspection to which they readily agreed which make me feel more comfortable. They also confirmed a written 3 month mechanical guarantee as well. The test will happen on Tuesday hopefully so we will see, but so far so good...

  10. #10
    leejax01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,161
    +1
    98
    Sounds like a good deal conditions considered. An upgraded black gunwhale set and some bottom paint, that is all but forgotten. A nice seat cover will put it over the top. What's with the top deck and all the stickers? Make sure no damage under them by running your hands over them feeling for depressions if you decide to remove them. Check the functions like trim, reverse and steering to see if they operate smoothly. Also check the bilge pump that should come on as you lock and unlock the ski. Everyone is correct on the water test and be glad they allow one as most dealers here don't. What a crazy idea... a dealer allowing someone to test a used vessel that they are about to spend 10k+ on... crazy.

    On the test ride, make sure to get it to top speed and around 7.5k rpm to verify the supercharger clutch is working properly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. To Buy or Not??
    By verrettej in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
  2. To Buy Or Not to Buy, That Is The Question?
    By FL03GTX in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 12:56 PM
  3. to buy or not
    By scott o in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
  4. To buy extended warranty or not to buy?
    By oklagp1200r in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 01:35 AM
  5. To sale or not to sale= to buy or not to buy
    By jetskr in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 11:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •