Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MXS 110 shuts down after 2 minutes

Hi,

We've been searching the archives looking for a solution to the problem with our MSX. Last summer (2012), right off the bat, it would run for only a couple minutes at a time, but would always restart - and run for a couple minutes, repeat. We reproduced the problem in our driveway with a flush kit - runs for 2 minutes and shuts down.

We've seen many posts for skis not throttling down, this isn't our problem.

Additional information (& ski ran fine rest of summer after all was said & done): Summer of 2011 the ski was put in without plugs (mentioning no names...) and sat submerged at the dock. After changing oil twice (first time by service tech, second time by husband) as I said, unit ran fine. All connectors were taken apart to check for moisture.

We're trying to get it fixed up so we can sell it.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Don't want to play with fire anymore? Hehe j/k

Anyhow, you are right in that I have not seen an issue like this on these forums either. Is the check engine light staying on after begin started and running for 15ish seconds? If you can get it hooked up to Digital Wrench you might be able to glean something from there.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

Wow! submerged? For how long? How deep? Fully submerged or only sitting in a foot deep of water?

Did you fully drain/flush gas tank? Sounds like you fully flushed engine oil and oil tanks. Coolant system should be okay. So all moisture is out of the intercooler and intake tracts?

Did you drain out the waterbox (muffler round thing)?

Does it idle at 1550 RPMs steady? Then after 2 minutes starts stumbling and dies?

These answers will help us point you towards more things.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Don't want to play with fire anymore? Hehe j/k

Anyhow, you are right in that I have not seen an issue like this on these forums either. Is the check engine light staying on after begin started and running for 15ish seconds? If you can get it hooked up to Digital Wrench you might be able to glean something from there.

It's great fun, when it works!

Sometimes the check engine comes on...

Hmm, see if you can answer some of Ripcuda's questions to help us think of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Hmm, see if you can answer some of Ripcuda's questions to help us think of stuff.

Kept getting interrupted! Going to post it next...

Thanks for all the great questions!

Wow is right.

I think it was submerged at least overnight.

Submerged in 2' of water (at dock).

I'm not sure what the tech did, as it happened when we weren't there. I do know that it ran the rest of that (2011) summer.

I believe it idles steady and doesn't die until throttle is open and you're out zipping around. Then it's like someone pulled the lanyard - just dead stop. No problems restarting, just won't stay running beyond 2 minutes.

Is there a way to read diagnostic/engine code?

You need to find a dealer to read the codes that has Digital Wrench and the appropriate adapter. If you know someone that has this set-up, become reeeeeally good friends with them (if you plan on keeping the ski anyways).

Sounds more like the ski is having some electrical glitch rather than a sensor going bad. I would check all the fuses in their relays (though if the ski is running for at least two minutes these are probably fine) and then check the main relay (big tan/brown colored one hanging in the back of the ski). See if there are any signs of corrosion or rust. Beyond that, you got me and I would wait for someone else to give you a better idea on here.

+1
    Yeah... I would second the likely electrical problems. Just to shutoff like that while running... is odd. I hate electrical gremlins.

A stored trouble code read would be pretty valuable... to help point you towards the wonky readings the ECU can't handle. Heck... could be the ECU itself.

Wonder if the electric throttle body (ETB) could be damaged... but can't see that killing the engine.
    Maybe the start-stop switch is flaking... that would kill the engine.
    A few minutes ride time also sounds heat related... long enough for something to get heated up... warm.
    Damaged stator fritzing when warm? But if it starts right back up...

Sorry for your troubles... wish I could be more help. These skis are hard enough to keep running when they weren't sunk!

Cheers!

It could be heat related, but since you are not getting an overheat light and just a plain cutback in power (as opposed to shutting off) I am hesitant to believe it. Find a dealer or person with Digital Wrench and the diagnostic cable. That is probably going to be you best bet (unless someone here ever had a similar issue and can elaborate).

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information