Sea doo debris problems

Ran into some issues today getting home as the tide was extremely low(typically never an issue). I was able to shut the engine off when isaw I was kicking up the muck. Pushed myself out and idled my way home occasionally running aground in very shallow water. I'm wondering what damage is possible when starting the ski up in mud/muck bottoms. I have a 2012 gti. I was not able to run the ski much bc of the extreme tides and the channels seemed to have changed after hurricane sandy. flushed for a good amount of time when I got home.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    The Moon was the closest to the Earth yesterday so im sure thats why the tides were unusual

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    The Moon was the closest to the Earth yesterday so im sure thats why the tides were unusual
    Agreed, can someone please help me understand the direct propulsion? Assuming water is sucked through the grate and through the impeller. I believe there is coolant that is now used to keep the engine from over heating. Is this about right?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you are correct on the propulsion

two cooling systems on the 4-tec

closed cooling system for the engine block, uses antifreeze and the heat exchanger "radiator" is the rideplate

open cooling system fed by the jet pump which is used to cool the exhaust manifold and muffler box. that's the one you need to be worrying about if you've been in the muck

flush the system with water from the hose at the jet pump attachment..engine on first, then water on , when done water off first, then engine off.

Limit flush time to 3-5 minutes tops.

I flushed the ski out. If something went wrong would it be noticeable during the flushing process? Didn't get a chance to ride bc of the tide. Everything seemed normal when flushing and sounded normal, but there is no resistance on the impeller so I guess I wouldn't know for sure. I was pretty good amout shutting off the ski so I don't think I sucked in much. Idling on the way home sounded fine and responsive when given gas. Did notice some small muck particles in the ski when I opened the seat.

+1
    Probably wont be able to tell until your next ride. If you get a over temp alarm- the open loop cooling portion could have been clogged up with gunk. I've idled through muck a few times....been lucky that flushing cleaned it all out. Some folks have installed graco strainers for the open loop to avoid this very thing. I've been hesitant as it's one more place to spring a leak if not done right.

Is there a way to tell if the open cooling system is clogged? What type of damage can be caused if it is?

I assume the water from the flushing process feeds the open cooling system. Water was flowing out the back as it usually does and in what seemed to be the same amount of water. Not sure if there is enough time to overheat during the flushing process, but there were not any beeps or messages on the dash. Should I assume it is alright?

+1
    If flushing it looked OK ride it. You might want to check your impellar for nicks/damage if you sucked up any rocks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you are correct on the propulsion

two cooling systems on the 4-tec

closed cooling system for the engine block, uses antifreeze and the heat exchanger "radiator" is the rideplate

open cooling system fed by the jet pump which is used to cool the exhaust manifold and muffler box. that's the one you need to be worrying about if you've been in the muck

flush the system with water from the hose at the jet pump attachment..engine on first, then water on , when done water off first, then engine off.

Limit flush time to 3-5 minutes tops.
    You better find away to keep that carbon ring cool if your running it that long......

+1
    As Tiny alluded to, you dont want to run it long enough on the hose to confirm blockage- you'll do more damage to the carbon ring running it on water. Just the other day I ran my ski on the hose for about a minute and half and I pointed my laser thermometer at the drive shaft in front of the c clip hat- 180 degrees. Gets hot fast!!

Get the ski out on the water- I believe it will through a code/warning that you are overheating due to blocked cooling. But again, Ive been there a few times myself and always good after flush. Dont worry until its time to worry, go enjoy your ski.

Thread Information