Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 1100ZXI does not plane

Hi All,
    My friend has 96 1100ZXI. He took it out yesterday and the thing smokes alot at idle to mid. In any case, we can't get the thing to plane with two people on it. With one person, it planes but you have to hold it full throttle for a little while until it clears up. Once it gets to 5000rpm's, it gets on plane. I can only get about 6000rpm at full throttle riding single.

I'm not familiar with the Kawasaki's, is there a common problem? Should I look into a carb rebuild? Compression is 110 across all three. Out of the water it rev's up to 7000rpm.

Previous owner mentioned: Engine was replaced in 98 and the dealer richened up the oil pump mixture.

+1
    This model had a fixed ratio oil pump, there is no adjustment, so the dealer could not have 'richened up the oil pump mixture.

These things normally smoke a fair amount when they are first started, but it should clear up after it's been run a few minutes. Avoid idling and you might try leaning the idle mixtures a little bit.

If it revs up and doesn't accelerate, you have pump problems.

Thank you Steve,
    I don't have the ski nearby. Where are the fuel filters on these things?

+1
    The fuel filter should be inline, in the fuel hose. The parts manual shows it to be on the right side of the engine compartment. There are two pickups in the fuel tank, which probably have screens. I haven't pulled the pickups on an 1100 to look at them, but in the book, they look similar to the other pickups that have very fine mesh screens.

Ok, previous owner stated that he used a skat prop and pump from an stx in it. I dont know the pitch, but would that affect it?

+1
    Quite possibly.

If the engine revs up but doesn't accelerate, it's a pump problem. If it won't reach full RPM, it's a fuel/air problem. But when you start jacking with the impeller, all bets are off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by need4pwr View Post
    Ok, previous owner stated that he used a skat prop and pump from an stx in it. I dont know the pitch, but would that affect it?
    From everything you described, an impeller that has too much pitch on it would bring on the problems it has.

When you say it won't plane with two people on it, what kind of weight are we talking about?

About 330 lbs with two people. Single rider it hite omly 6000 rpms.

+1
    I could not find the max carrying capacity specs for this ski but I would think the 330 has it maxed out.

This is "rated" as a 2 person ski but it doesn't do well with 2, one is much better. It should be performing better than it is though.
    Even with everything right on the ski, I would think it would still leave a lot to be desired while riding two up. You really need the longer hull of the STX to be riding 2 up.

On a safety note...I'm surprised Steve did not bring this up but you better be really careful on that particular model unless it has the "bowl" mod added on the front of the hull.
    This model had an 'air induction hull'. It has air vents on each side of the ride plate, which are hooked to the big black rubber tubes behind the engine. The idea is that when the 'Ski is going fast, air bubbles are injected to reduce hull drag.

It created major problems for Kawasaki. It was found that when running at full speed on glassy water, the 'Ski would unexpectedly just flip over! NOT GOOD! The problem was that there was so little surface area supporting the 'Ski that it became unstable. Kawasaki's solution was to put a big fiberglass 'bowl' on the front of the hull. Take a look at yours. If it doesn't have the bowl on the front, it NEEDS it! It should be free from a dealer, as it was the subject of a safety recall.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    On a safety note...I'm surprised Steve did not bring this up but you better be really careful on that particular model unless it has the "bowl" mod added on the front of the hull.
    This model had an 'air induction hull'. It has air vents on each side of the ride plate, which are hooked to the big black rubber tubes behind the engine. The idea is that when the 'Ski is going fast, air bubbles are injected to reduce hull drag.

It created major problems for Kawasaki. It was found that when running at full speed on glassy water, the 'Ski would unexpectedly just flip over! NOT GOOD! The problem was that there was so little surface area supporting the 'Ski that it became unstable. Kawasaki's solution was to put a big fiberglass 'bowl' on the front of the hull. Take a look at yours. If it doesn't have the bowl on the front, it NEEDS it! It should be free from a dealer, as it was the subject of a safety recall.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information