STX-12F Stalling when you let off the throttle- Help??

I did a search on this and found that the usual culprits are the ISC and valve adjustment. My 2004 has 130 hours and last fall was having some performanc issues that were traced to low fuel pressure. i fixed that and the ski ran great.. but was stalling everytime I fully released the throttle.

I forgot about this, dewinterized the skis and took them for a shake down run. The 12 was still doing this. I took apart the ISC and it seems to b fine. The resistances on the stepper motor are all good and mechanism is free. With it off the throttle body, I can hear the clicking and actually see the plunger moving through the full range of motion.

I re-installed it and the stalling presisted. I raised the idle to about 1500 and it helped a little but clearly, the ski still struggles to stay running when coming off throttle. it doesn't stall everytime, but still does too often.

I think valve clearance check is the next step?

I didn't verify the TPS voltages... is that worth doing?

Any other suggestions?

BTW- i put in new gas but didn't recheck fuel pressure cuz it was doing the same thing last year when pressures were fixed and confirmed. Anyoine know of a decent way to e permanently mount a fue pressure gauge on the fuel rail?
    Last edited by JAV; 07-22-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Looking for some guidance... Smokey?

I'm still haveing the off throttle stalling problem on the 12F. Even though the ISC (actuator) appears to be working (meaning I can hear it, it's clean and the resistances are good), I was thinking about swapping in the one from my 15F to see if it had any effect.

The problem is the 2004 15f and 2004 12F use different part number actuators (2004-15f #17172-0561/ 2004-12f #16172-3704). Oddly , the 2005 12F uses the same actuator as the 2004 15F. Does anyone know if these units are interchangeable?

Any other suggestions for fixing off throttle stalling?

I am having the exact same problem. Any luck in identifying the cause/fix?

Thanks!
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by JAV View Post
    Looking for some guidance... Smokey?

I'm still haveing the off throttle stalling problem on the 12F. Even though the ISC (actuator) appears to be working (meaning I can hear it, it's clean and the resistances are good), I was thinking about swapping in the one from my 15F to see if it had any effect.

The problem is the 2004 15f and 2004 12F use different part number actuators (2004-15f #17172-0561/ 2004-12f #16172-3704). Oddly , the 2005 12F uses the same actuator as the 2004 15F. Does anyone know if these units are interchangeable?

Any other suggestions for fixing off throttle stalling?

unfortunately- no. It's still doing it. I've had the ISC off and literally can see it working while I control the air inlet with my finger. I haven't tried the 15 swap becasue that ski is running mint - so is the 12 other than this one issue.

I really need to check the valve clearances. I'm told this can contribute to it and it might make sense as mine acts up more after its warm. On cold start up, the idle seems better.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ISC may be sticky when it gets bolted down tight to the throttle body... I know it's unlikely but the vast majority with this problem solve it -with a new ISC. My ISC seems to respond smoothly and quickly in my hand but I'm wondering if there's some warpage in the casting (either the ISC or TB) thats causing the response to be different once it's bolted down tight?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I am using a 15f on my 12f and a 250 on my 15f, they all swap.

Sean

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JAV View Post
    unfortunately- no. It's still doing it. I've had the ISC off and literally can see it working while I control the air inlet with my finger. I haven't tried the 15 swap becasue that ski is running mint - so is the 12 other than this one issue.

I really need to check the valve clearances. I'm told this can contribute to it and it might make sense as mine acts up more after its warm. On cold start up, the idle seems better.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ISC may be sticky when it gets bolted down tight to the throttle body... I know it's unlikely but the vast majority with this problem solve it -with a new ISC. My ISC seems to respond smoothly and quickly in my hand but I'm wondering if there's some warpage in the casting (either the ISC or TB) thats causing the response to be different once it's bolted down tight?
    Check your gasket, mine was swelled and I replaced it with gasket maker just making sure to keep it off anything that moves.

Sean

Mine was swelled up too. I replaced it but ti still does it. I'll try the swap wiht the 15 to see if the problem follows the isc. Of course sking weather is just about done up here.... 41 degrees this morning.

Thread Information