Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GP1200R

GP1200R

I'm a new Yahama rider - i picked up a GP 1200R. My wife bought this from a neighbor, first shock - no reverse. That generates a whole new riding thought. The machine is FUN!! Here is my issue. With the jet turned up it does 62 on flat water. I ride no issue, maybe a chirp from the alarm occasionally. Wife and God daughter ride, crusing style - 15 minutes or so, the alarm goes off for the muffler temp. Stop, shut off - alarm and light go off. Or if hitting the reset button - the alarm quits but muffler light go on.

Shop manual no help, owners manual worse. Checked screen in the water pick up in jet, clean as the day installed. Two hoses going into top side of exhaust, up by the seat, are pumpoing water at low RPM and increase with revs. Hot water comes out of both sides of pilot tubes when running. When the machine is shut off, sounds like there is a bolling water sound from the pilot tubes.

Questions:

Water pump or thermostat?

Lean on fuel of oil?

What next?

+1
    If you are getting that warning it is a good chance you are creating a lot of heat in the exhaust. There are a few things that can cause that. First do a compression test to rule out engine damage. Next look at the top of the big exhaust pipe on the right side of the engine compartment and see if that sensor wire is plugged into the side of the black electrical box. If it is it more than likely still has the converter on it and if your compression is still good the cat. Converter may have broken apart and lodged in the exhaust somewhere causing a overheat issue. If that is the problem you need to pull the pipe and replace the converter with a D plate and chip. You need to do it any way regardless.

Best source for plate and chip? This is a stock machine with 170 hours. Yamalube best bet is is there a more economical oil - $32/gal local

+1
    I get most of my parts from Riva but I'm sure you can find it on other sites.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Livingston Lakeside View Post
    Best source for plate and chip? This is a stock machine with 170 hours. Yamalube best bet is is there a more economical oil - $32/gal local
    You on lake Livingston? Used to live outside of Onalaska.

+1
    I'm a new Yahama rider - i picked up a GP 1200R. My wife bought this from a neighbor, first shock - no reverse
    First off congrats on the wife that buys you a waverunner and a GP1200r no less. Could be a faulty sensor, clogged side pisser from dirt dobber, poor water flow starting from pump. Check and see if it has a Dplate with temp chip. Somewhere to start.

7. +1 by:

+1
    I'm a new Yahama rider - i picked up a GP 1200R. My wife bought this from a neighbor, first shock - no reverse. That generates a whole new riding thought. The machine is FUN!! Here is my issue. With the jet turned up it does 62 on flat water. I ride no issue, maybe a chirp from the alarm occasionally. Wife and God daughter ride, crusing style - 15 minutes or so, the alarm goes off for the muffler temp. Stop, shut off - alarm and light go off. Or if hitting the reset button - the alarm quits but muffler light go on.

Shop manual no help, owners manual worse. Checked screen in the water pick up in jet, clean as the day installed. Two hoses going into top side of exhaust, up by the seat, are pumpoing water at low RPM and increase with revs. Hot water comes out of both sides of pilot tubes when running. When the machine is shut off, sounds like there is a bolling water sound from the pilot tubes.

Questions:

Lean on fuel of oil?

What next?
    You might be close enough to take it to this guy: http://www.wfoperformance.net/

He knows these GPR's like no one else does and he's good people too. Give him a call and I think he can walk you through this.

+1

Questions:

Lean on fuel of oil?

What next?
    Are you from lake livingston? I live right by scenic loop. Cool to know there another local members.

+1
    Maybe a bad cat they don't last long.

Yes - i live off Palmetto Cove - going to pull the ski after this weekend and install the D Plate, chip and follow the card instructions - then we'll see whats up. Rinning hard no issue, it is just the wife desire to cruise around the 4-5k rpm range the issue occurs. Did the compression test and was within 2 lbs per cylinder @ 117, this was on a cold engine. The d Plate install almost lookks like i have to pull the engine. Did some one say you can leave the plastic exhaust cove off after the D-Plate is installed? Anyone got a set of spark arrestors they want to sell cheap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information