Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    2004 gp1300r rebuild? 170hrs

    I am just looking into doing a rebuild on my ski before something happens. Runs fine right now no issues. I put 40 hrs on it since last summer and I know this is the ski with the power valves. Any info on a rebuild would be great. Do I put new rings, pistons, valves and eater clips? How often does the valves go bad? I just want to be safe so I can enjoy the summer. Any info helps thank you. 2004 yamaha gp1300r. Also any info on servicing the jet pump.


  2. #2
    If it's running fine then that is a good sign. If you think it's not then do a compression test before deciding to rebuild the engine. Do all the reliability mods like D-Plate and eater clips, fuel flapper removal, and keeping up with the carberation system (Clean your injectors). Some general maintenence like new plugs, pre-mix, might be good so do your research there - theres a lot to be done. Honestly if it were me I'd keep running with reliability modifications and not worry about doing a rebuild until it is the only option. Estimate the cost of a rebuild - amortize the cost over time, saving a little every week for when the time comes. Who knows maybe you'll get another 100 hours out of it and save up for something awsome.

    For contrast/comparison: I have a friend who changes his car's oil every 1500 miles because he wants his engine to run forever. I change mine every ~5000 miles. The money I save by not doing all the oil changes is almost enough to buy a new motor when the time comes in comparison with my friend - if ever! or pay for a deposite-payment on a newer vehicle. Same goes for extended warantees.

  3. #3
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,800
    +1
    449
    do you really want to do a full rebuild on your motor at the start of the riding season?

    I'd do D plate and wave eaters and ride it

    Jet pump just pull the cone and inspect the grease. If its taking on water, look for milky coloration

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,846
    +1
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    do you really want to do a full rebuild on your motor at the start of the riding season?

    I'd do D plate and wave eaters and ride it

    Jet pump just pull the cone and inspect the grease. If its taking on water, look for milky coloration
    Good information from WFO for you. I have a 2003 gpr with a D plate and wave eater clips with 400+ hours on the original motor still going strong. The key to long engine life is to have good mantinance program and take care of keeping you ski free from water inside the motor compartment and practice good winter storage tips. Tommy Jordan

  5. #5
    Predator-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Enkhuizen/Netherlands
    Posts
    135
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliecurrie View Post
    I am just looking into doing a rebuild on my ski before something happens. Runs fine right now no issues. I put 40 hrs on it since last summer and I know this is the ski with the power valves. Any info on a rebuild would be great. Do I put new rings, pistons, valves and eater clips? How often does the valves go bad? I just want to be safe so I can enjoy the summer. Any info helps thank you. 2004 yamaha gp1300r. Also any info on servicing the jet pump.
    If you choose to do a rebuilt on your engine (riding season or not) you need at least new gaskets,seals, piston rings,wave eater clips,D-plate and needle bearings ,further it depends on what you will running into when the engine is apart.
    Servicing the jetpump will mean you have to put in new bearings and check prop and wear-ring clearance and also depends what you will run into by taking it apart.
    Engine rebuilt can be done in one day if you have the parts ,carbs are another day if you want to do it right..
    Jet pump can be done in 2 hours if you have a press and the prop will come off easy

  6. #6
    Thank you for the info everyone it really helps. I am a mechanic at a dealer so I have access to a press ect; I just don't have much expirence with two strokes. So do I buy new power valves with the eater clips? How often do they go bad. I'm sure I have good compression. I bough the ski with 130 hrs and haven't done one bit of maitnence. Also what is the d plate and how can I flush the injectors? And a fuel flapper? I have a manual but doesn't say much about these items. Thanks guys

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliecurrie View Post
    Thank you for the info everyone it really helps. I am a mechanic at a dealer so I have access to a press ect; I just don't have much expirence with two strokes. So do I buy new power valves with the eater clips? How often do they go bad. I'm sure I have good compression. I bough the ski with 130 hrs and haven't done one bit of maitnence. Also what is the d plate and how can I flush the injectors? And a fuel flapper? I have a manual but doesn't say much about these items. Thanks guys
    Just snap on the wave eater clips on top of the PV's. They just cover each side of a pin to keep it from working out of the PV. Remove cover, clean if you like, snap them on. Simple. Check the exhaust stinger to see if the sensor up top in the middle of it is electrically plugged up, if it isn't or a plug is in the sensor hole, it probably already has a D plate. If not, remove the stinger and install the D-plate. Simple installation. I wouldn't worry about the injectors unless you are having an issue or if you may just run a little injector cleaner with some ethanol free gas. Forget about the fuel flapper unless you start having performance issues. My 2 cents.

  8. #8
    What does the couplers do? I heard get them also and what is the exhaust stinger and electrically plugged up mean?

  9. #9
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,800
    +1
    449
    no flapper on EFI

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    do you really want to do a full rebuild on your motor at the start of the riding season?

    I'd do D plate and wave eaters and ride it

    Jet pump just pull the cone and inspect the grease. If its taking on water, look for milky coloration

    Where can I get the d plate? I ordered the waveeater a and couplers now I heard I need a chip too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2004 Gp1300r won't start after rebuild
    By Rod in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-19-2015, 08:17 PM
  2. "06 GP1300R Rebuild
    By Kahona2 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
  3. 2004 GP1300R value
    By birel33 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
  4. 2004 Gp1300r
    By PowerZportz in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 11:46 AM
  5. 10 HP increase for 2003-2004 GP1300R?
    By Mr Bill in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •