Thread: Polaris SLT 780

Polaris SLT 780

My boss gave me a couple of his older skis a 750 and 780. The 750 runs fine, but the 780 the display doesn't work and he told me this. His mechanic, basically bypassed it. Either he couldn't figure it out or my boss didn't want to spend the money to fix it. He ran it for a couple of years like this. Anyways the thing he said was there was hesitation on the take off, but would kick in and get to full throttle. So this weekend was our first time using them. The 750 ran beautiful, but the 780, when taking off will kind of whined when try to take off and then if if rock it or give it time, while holding the throttle down it will get up plane out and go eventually. Does this have anything to do with the display or is more in the intake, impeller or something else?

Any ideas or suggestions as to where to start?
    Thanks in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See my signature links for new owners. Fuel system is the primary concern.

Display may be repairable. Should not affect basic engine operation but must be unplugged at back of display to isolate it properly.

Do read up on these machines before continuing to ride them. It is easy to do engine damage while riding if the carburetors or fuel system are not quite right.

look visually into the water pump. jet. impellar. is the impellar missing broken parts in there? is there debris in there? is the prop missing parts broken? you will need to get a good flashlight. look from underneath the boat through the water grate. got to look good in there. then look from the rear. you will see the prop and the stator vein in there. if there are pieces broken in there looking from the grate or from the rear. that's your problem. the pump. since you are saying it whines out but goes no where.

It is down at our trailer, so it will be a couple of weeks before we are down there again. But we will only ride the 750 right now. The 780 I will inspect the fuel system and will look at the impeller are also.

When it whines it does move the jet ski, but kind of like a boat that doesn't want to plane out do to a lack of power, if that makes since

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CTArchery View Post
    ... we will only ride the 750 right now...
    My advice still applies, even to the running machine. It can easily turn into a not-running machine if you are unaware of the required maintenance and common problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CTArchery View Post
    ... 780 I will inspect the fuel system and will look at the impeller are also.

When it whines it does move the jet ski, but kind of like a boat that doesn't want to plane out do to a lack of power, if that makes since
    Sounds like a jet pump problem, either impeller/stator wear or damage, or ventilation due to failed sealant.

I will go through the 750 also

Thread Information