MSX 150 . Need some Maint Help

Just doing some maint on 2004 MSX 150 for a friend.. I am familiar with SeaDoos....
    Can someone point me in right direction...
    Want to do Oil CHange: what weights, etc to use
    Pulled NGK plugs.. Are there Alternates??? My local parts store does not have them in stock.

IF/ Where is an Oil Filter. What numbers, etc to use.

What is best maint procedure to service pump, if needed.
    It ran fine last summer.. They just put it in heated storage.. Did NOT winterize/storage Maint the boat.
    Thanks

Oil, need to drain the tank if possible, pull the plugs and pull the big brown relay at the back of the ski to disable the fuel pump. Take the top hose off the oil tank on the port side and put it in an empty milk jug or similar to catch all the oil. Hit the start button to crank the engine to pump all the oil out (only crank for 10 seconds at a time with 30 seconds of rest between cranks). Once all the oil is out, replace the oil filter. This is located on the port side right behind the turbocharger exhaust manifold. To unscrew it, I would recommend using a 27mm ratchet head, a u-joint thing attachment for the ratchet, and a foot long extender. That should allow you to reach it well enough to unscrew it.

Adding oil back, the thing takes about 3 quarts all together, though you need to be careful not to overfill it. Ad about a quart and a half back to the oil reservoir. Hook the hose back up to the reservoir you took off. Hook back up all the connections and start the ski (preferably start a hose on it after starting it to help keep it cool.) Let it run for 20-30 seconds, kill the garden hose and stop the ski. Add another quart to the reservoir and start it back up for another 20-30 seconds. Kill the ski and check your oil level. You are looking for it to be just on the tip of the dipstick with a cold engine. Add oil as necessary to accomplish this and then you're done.

As far as the pump, if you are not having cavitation issues and everything is visually okay with no major dings (use a flashlight and look in there, both the intake and output sides of the pump), and there is no water leaking into the craft when running, I would leave the pump alone. The bearings in these are sealed so they don't need to be checked. If you are suspicious though, pull the pump off and check in the cone for water. It should be dry if everything is okay.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See my signature links for some useful info.

Recent threads on here have covered the spark plug and oil questions for the Weber turbo engine. Search for Zinc oil and Champion spark plugs

Be aware that these engines are somewhat 'fragile' and must be properly maintained and in some cases upgrades applied to maintain reliability. Think classic Porsche rather than Chevy small block.

Is there a parts store part for the OIL FILTER ???
    And from what I've read so far, these use a full synthetic 5w50 / 15w50 type engine oil. Is this correct ?

If I cant find a filter local , I may just leave it and change the engine oil only for now. But then do it the right way in fall.

I would not wait on the filter if you can avoid it. These engines are too picky to risk something like that. 15W-50 full synthetic with zinc is the oil you are looking for and the best resource I have come by is picking up a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 synthetic at Wal-Mart.

As for the filter, any local polaris dealer should have one as these engines are still used in snow mobiles. It's part number 0451842 I believe. They also sell these at weberpower.com his part number is 101109.

Awesome Info Guys..
    That's why I love GH
    Everyone is so nice and helpful

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447
    Think classic Porsche rather than Chevy small block.
    So true.

Oil:
    Mobil 1 15w-50 Synthetic
    or
    Polaris Marine PS-4 Synthetic 15W-50

Oil filter:
    uses a replaceable cartridge inside the black plastic cover
    Polaris #0451842

Spark plugs:
    Champion RC7PYCB

Coolant... stock pink stuff is of type Propylene Glycol... the safer... environmentally friendly kind. Can be bought as Peak Sierra and Prestone Low-Tox... but unfortunately Sierra is green in color (like the more common Ethylene Glycol green coolants)... and not pink (not sure of Low-Tox?). But in reality... either types of coolant can be safely mixed together... just not mixed with OAT (Dex-Cool) and HOAT (G-05) kinds.

Cheers!

Thread Information