Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What a nice guy.....

The other day while driving to my first sales call, I decided to call Jet Dynamics.....Glen Dilworth answered the phone....I simply was inquiring about his pump adapter and grates, maybe a ride plate...you know checking for old parts and possibly a speed secret or two. Wow was I surprised at how much information regarding pumps and intake grates and other speed information Glen shared....I'll definitely be calling him in the future.....And the best thing is he still has inventory for our older GP's.

Guys if anyone is interested in an intake grate like Flying bought off KansasGPR or like Osidebill has contact Glen. I'm pretty sure he came up with the design and it was copied by a few of the better tuners of the day.....

If you do call....be prepared to spend some time on the phone....my 5min call turned into an hour long education filled with great tips and info. I'm Definitely Glad I Called!!!!!!!
    Mike

+1
    So spill the beans what did you learn.
    Scott.........

Well the first thing is....there is definitely some merit to pump volume.....one of the things that we might be considering porpoising could actually be excess water being forced under the hull and under the ride plate, causing the back of the boat to lift. Glen can explain this better....One thing he did say was that by moving the opening forward or backward you can counter this phenomenon. Another thing that can help is reducing high and low pressure areas in the inlet area in front of the impeller. He also said that we may not be running enough pitch on our impellers.....Guys he told me so much I need to call him back and take better notes.....I didn't expect to get so much out of him yesterday...my hour long commute seemed like 15minutes and I should've pulled over just so I could take notes......Everyone who's interested in learning more should contact Glen....You won't be disappointed

SO DOES HE HAVE A WEB SITE??? I didnt think they were still in operation for the early stuff...like most would think they'd drop the line when demand drops to just a few units a year.. great to hear
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 03-03-2007 at 11:01 AM.

+1

Good explanation

http://www.jetdynamics.com/how.html

How the Jet Dynamics patented toploader works.
    The reason you need a toploader in watercraft, big or small which uses a pump for propulsion is because as the craft accelerates it creates high and low flow areas in the pump, or it could go by the pump altogether (Diagram 1) this could cause the pump to unload which cavitates the impeller and causes a dangerous handling situation.
    The shaft shielding toploader eliminates these problems. the loader ramp takes a bite of water, turns and delivers it to the top half of the impeller. This eliminates the low flow area or dead spot in the top portion of the pump. The shoe or backbiting edge of the pump takes another bite of water and delivers it to the bottom of the pump. (Diagram 2). The ramp has eliminated the high pressure at the bottom of the impeller. Also this patented design eliminates water being blocked from the pump by the grate bars in a hard turn. This makes for a safer and better handling watercraft.

SO .If we add that two inch spacer in front of the impeller, to allow the upper flow area to streighten out some and with more equal pressure and add that super jet stuffer into the housing,We could possibly eliminate the use of this speed scrubing grate and enable the ski to run faster...
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 03-03-2007 at 12:20 PM.

It's definitely worth looking into.....also if you use the #37 pump shoe adapter you can experiment with different blaster grates for hook-up. We might have to look at his concave ride plate as well....Glen swears that at 100+mph he wouldn't have a flat plate on a boat or anything else....He's really worth a phone call....just be prepared to listen........
    Mike

Glen is great , he is the one that told me how to mod the Raider pad, and built one intake grate just to help me out…….. That’s service.

Look how far the rear of the intake hangs down that and the skat pump
    Is why I say 75mph will be hard to pass, but this baby should stay hooked up…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0092.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	17823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0085.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	17824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0096.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	17825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0101.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	17826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0107.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	17827  

Darth,
    He told me that over the years he's lost quite a few prototype grates and plates because the guys who were supposed to test them never returned them (probably because they gave them an advantage on the course). He offered to cast me an intake grate for my carbon boat, stating that the welded one that's on it was probably one of his prototypes that never made it back to him......I'm definitely going to spend some money with this indivdual. It's refreshing to talk to guys like Glen and to benefit from their knowledge and experience. It's cool that he would even consider doing stuff for you and me knowing what he's been through over the years....
    mike
    This intake grate is 2.5" longer than his standard intake grate, because Bullet moved the intake rearward on the c/f hulls to address some of the porpoising issues and to get the boats to hook up better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF rideplate and intake grate.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	17841  

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Wow, I am likin' this thread

Great pictures too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information