Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

07 ultra 250x locking up

Here we go again. Put her in the water for the first time today and ran great for 10 minutes then cut off. Would not restart. Towed it back in. Last year the pump shaft was bad so we replaced that. Thinking that was the problem we pulled it and impeller spins free. Ski fired right up. Put it back on and tries cranking real slow. Removed pump housing again and same issue. I don't know what's going on. Sometimes with the pump housing removed it starts right up and other times she tries turning over really slow. When it starts the coupling pushes out the back. The shaft slides very easy in the bearing. I'm surprised water does not come in there. The coupling does not fully disengage when the shaft is pulled back to the bearing. Idk if the bearing is bad. I would like to pull the shaft but it looks like a need a splined tool to spin the shaft while holding the coupling as it looks threaded. This thing has been nothing but trouble. Supercharger maybe has a an hour on it and it has a few hours on new cylinders and pistons. I would think since the shaft slides so easy that if the bearing was locked it would still spin inside. Metal on metal of course but not enough for a very weak turnover. Inside the bearing does not look right to me but its hard to see. Only way I will know for sure if I can get the coupling off and out of the engine. Then I could tell if it is the bearing or the engine? Any thoughts?

thanks Jesse

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie00721 View Post
    Here we go again. Put her in the water for the first time today and ran great for 10 minutes then cut off. Would not restart. Towed it back in. Last year the pump shaft was bad so we replaced that. Thinking that was the problem we pulled it and impeller spins free. Ski fired right up. Put it back on and tries cranking real slow. Removed pump housing again and same issue. I don't know what's going on. Sometimes with the pump housing removed it starts right up and other times she tries turning over really slow. When it starts the coupling pushes out the back. The shaft slides very easy in the bearing. I'm surprised water does not come in there. The coupling does not fully disengage when the shaft is pulled back to the bearing. Idk if the bearing is bad. I would like to pull the shaft but it looks like a need a splined tool to spin the shaft while holding the coupling as it looks threaded. This thing has been nothing but trouble. Supercharger maybe has a an hour on it and it has a few hours on new cylinders and pistons. I would think since the shaft slides so easy that if the bearing was locked it would still spin inside. Metal on metal of course but not enough for a very weak turnover. Inside the bearing does not look right to me but its hard to see. Only way I will know for sure if I can get the coupling off and out of the engine. Then I could tell if it is the bearing or the engine? Any thoughts?

thanks Jesse
    Silly question, you did try another battery? Have all the recalls been done on it? (ignition, security key?)
    If the cranking is good or bad regardless of the pump being installed, I would look elsewhere.
    Does the display flash batt low when cranking?

You say "It Cut Off" do you mean it just shut off? Stalled? Display blank? died while cruising?

Yeah battery good. Something mechanical. I don't remember if the display went blank when it died. It just stopped and would only do a slow crank. Since pulling the impeller housing it works sometimes but not others. Never with it installed since it cut out

+1

07 ultra 250x locking up

Yeah battery good. Something mechanical. I don't remember if the display went blank when it died. It just stopped and would only do a slow crank. Since pulling the impeller housing it works sometimes but not others. Never with it installed since it cut out
    Were the pump bearings ever updated to 300x spec? I would pull the oil filter and cut it open and see. Sounds like something is binding up internally.

Looked at the service manual and looks like engine has to be pulled to remove the drive shaft

Quote Originally Posted by KawiMike View Post
    Were the pump bearings ever updated to 300x spec? I would pull the oil filter and cut it open and see. Sounds like something is binding up internally.
    Not sure what you mean, can you direct me to info about the filter info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiMike View Post
    Not sure what you mean, can you direct me to info about the filter info
    Just remove the filter and buy a filter cutter from almost any auto parts store. Open it up and look for metal shavings. Probably gonna be silver aluminum shavings.
    It's cheap and easy to do.

Banned User
    +1
    What you mean pump shaft was bad ? Did it to out break bearings fail did you run ski after it was fixed first time ? When pump fails it usually takes out motor.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    search crank float001 and crank float 004 on you tube and report back if you have movement your engine is toast ,

Waz

Yes, bearing were bad. If I recall right I had to press them in the housing or on the new impeller shaft. Maybe both can't remember right now. That all spins smooth as butter. I really can't remember if I ran it in the water after that. I would have to research that further.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information