Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XL 1200 LTD mod questions

I might be picking up a 2000 XL 1200 LTD. The seller is asking $3200 for it, but I'm going to try to get it for $2,500 since it has pretty high hours (170). I really don't like the high hours, but if I can get it for the right price I guess I can live with it. It's probably going to need a top end sooner than later though.

I'm going to be using it just for recreational purposes.... pull a wakeboard and for AWA events. I was wondering what mods I can do to improve holeshot besides a PPK and sealing the pump? It already has the D plate and I plan on adding waveeaters. What pitch prop is best? Is a stinger the way to go or is the jet works?

I'm not concerned with top end, although I wouldn't mind increasing it. What top end speed should I expect, around 58? I mainly just want a good holeshot while keeping it on regular gas. I'm also interested in knowing which handling mods (intake, rideplate, sponsons, etc) are best.

Thanks in advance for any help! I tried a search but couldn't come up with that much info.

OH will you buy the darn thing already.....

You just want my business again, Carl! You know I can't leave a ski stock! haha jk

Funny thing is... I was just looking at your site to see whats up for mods haha.

I just had a friend take a look at it like an hour ago for me. He's sending me pics later. Compression was 115 dead even across all 3 cylinders. He said it's in very good condition. I talked to the seller just now and he said he won't go below $3,000. I'm thinking it's still a good deal, no? I just don't like the high hours.

Just make sure the hull is in good shape (never been hit, repainted etc,etc.) if it is your good to go. 3G for an xlt with a mint hull that runs good is a good deal. for a couple of hundred either way its not worth the argue
    motors can be rebuilt-- ride it till it blows then worry about it

yeah, from what i'm told it's in extremely good condition, inside and out. even the engine compartment looked very clean i'm told.

Cullman, AL
    Good deal @$3K. If you aren't worrying about top end, you might consider a Stinger, though you would be better off spending your money on some V-Force reeds. We will get you set up; between Carl and Jim down here in FL, you have plenty of resourses.

decisions to be made...

2000 XL 1200 LTD with 170 hours, D plate, cover, and hydroturf for $3,000

2001 XLT 1200 with 35 hours, warranty until Nov 07, and cover for $4,000

It would be nice to save that extra $1,000... but I might not be saving a hell of a lot if it needs a top and a bottom end soon.

Cullman, AL
    Both are good deals.... a 2001 with only 35 hours is like new. And personally, I like the looks of the XLT better.

I like the looks of the XLT better too, but i also like saving money! Arg, decisions!

Oh well, they're good decisions to be making I guess!

get the XLT

there is a 170 hours on the top end and the crank and everything else that moves

for mods I would suggest

intake grate
    d plate (get Carl to open up the opening a bit, that will help the bottom end)
    you might even consider the 05 pump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information