Need Help with 2004 stx 12f Pump Removal

Hello there, Relatively new poster to the forum and relatively new to the PWC world. Have purchased two skis a 2004 stx15f and a 2005 stx12f. It has been a learn as you go project. Both skis have very few hours but were completely neglected and left for dead in the Florida sun for 8 years after being used for basically one season. Both skis have had all things fuel replaced and two badly varnished tanks are now like brand new. The 2004 is running perfectly but the 2005 12f was "seized"...I thought it was the engine; however; I now think it is the impeller.

I have removed the ride plate, back step, steering nozzle, pump outlet...and I have the pump down to the plastic pump cap (removed) and the metal pump cap. I have removed the three pump cap bolts, The 4 main pump mounting bolts and I can pull the pump out about 1 inch...

In the manual, section 11-6 Pump and impeller. IT SAYS UNSCREW THE PUMP MOUNTING BOLTS...CHECK
    THEN....IT SAYS TO SLIDE THE PUMP TO THE REAR TO DISENGAGE THE DRIVE SHAFT AND REMOVE IT FROM THE HULL??????
    HERE IS WHERE I GET LOST, LIKE I STATED IT WILL MOVE LEFT TO RIGHT (GETS CAUGHT ON THE STEERING AND REVERSE CABLES) BUT IT WON'T SLIDE OUT.

INTUITIVELY IT FEELS LIKE THAT THE METAL CONE CAP THAT I TOOK THE THREE BOLTS OFF SHOULD COME OFF BUT IT ISN'T BUDGING?

-I am pretty confident I am not missing any screws
    -I have even removed the two silicone cover bolts that were in behind the air box at the back of the hull interior...

What am I missing here? How do I remove the pump assembly (including impeller) from the hull? Thanks in advance.T

Nobody? Please help. The impeller is stuck on the drive shaft, this seems to be a fairly common problem; however, i can't find any remedies. I am going nuts over this.

Do i need to remove the metal cone cap (the one that is held on by three bolts...i have removed the 3 bolts, ) does the "cone cap" (11065-0826) come off? If so how...should it simply come off, need to pry? Threaded?

After the 4 bolts have been removed the impeller/housing moves freely clockwise, counter clockwise, and i can pull it out easily approx 1 inch...i have never taken a pump housing/impeller out? From what i am understanding from the repair manual and various posts the whole assembly should slide off of the drive shaft back...am i at least correct in that assumption...

There are 40+ views, and not one reply...i apologize if these are dumb questions, and i have done due dilligence in trying to verify this within and beyond this forum...any help sincerely appreciated.

+1
    If all the bolts are out, and the cables and hoses are disconnected, the entire pump should slide straight back. Sometimes, salt buildup on the gasket between the pump and the transom plate will make it hard to pull out.

If the impeller is frozen onto the drive shaft, the drive shaft would slide back a few inches as you pull the pump. You can look under the seat to see if the drive shaft is sliding back... the driveshaft coupling would have pulled away from the engine coupling.

The impeller is frozen on the drive shaft, it will slide back only about an inch as you specified...exactly; when i move the housing with the bolts removed the whole drive shaft moves...any suggestions on how to approach the "unfreezing process"...i've been pretty agressive and don't want to damage anything...any suggestions or remedies are truly appreciated.

+1
    You have a dilemma. Obviously, you'll need more than brute strength to separate the impeller from the shaft. I would try pulling the pump as far back as possible, then wedging something between the pump and the pump shoe to hold it steady and prevent it from moving forward. I would then use a pry bar on the driveshaft coupling to try to push the driveshaft forward, thereby pulling it away from the impeller.

Or do the exact opposite... wedge something between the driveshaft coupling and the bearing housing to prevent the driveshaft from sliding backward. Then use a pry bar between the pump and the pump shoe. This actually might be a better idea, since you can easily replace the pump and pump shoe if they get damaged. I'd rather damage those parts than something on the engine.

Solved! Thanks ....A small section of a 1inch thick shims wedged under the top left and bottom right corners..two claw hammers on opposite corners and 225 pounds of simultaneous downward force did the trick...Thanks, grumpy_steven...clarifying that the pump should slide freely was the bit of knowledge that I lacked that loosened my inhibitions about getting crazy on that thing... On top of that, a seized impeller is so much better news than a seized engine...

Thread Information