Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 gti worth tweaking?

Still a newbie...

had a 91 GT for two weekends. Bendix or solenoid started acting up so i gave it back and found a cheap 96 GTI. Are there any after market parts for these older skis? im not looking for a 60 mile an hour ski, but can you get mid 50's with some parts?

and

is it worth it??

Quote Originally Posted by rocksandblues View Post
    Still a newbie...

had a 91 GT for two weekends. Bendix or solenoid started acting up so i gave it back and found a cheap 96 GTI. Are there any after market parts for these older skis? im not looking for a 60 mile an hour ski, but can you get mid 50's with some parts?

and

is it worth it??

Was my first pwc i ever owned. 717 engine , good cruiser could even pull a tuber and skier but had no speed. best i would get it was about 38-40. I wouldnot mod it.

shark

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Unless you modded it heavily it wouldn't ever see mid 50's and even then it wouldn't be reliable, you could change the impeller,add flame arrestors and maybe an intake grate, FYI If it has the grey fuel lines you must change those

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Unless you modded it heavily it wouldn't ever see mid 50's and even then it wouldn't be reliable, you could change the impeller,add flame arrestors and maybe an intake grate, FYI If it has the grey fuel lines you must change those
    i kinda figured its not worth moding. thx for the tip.... I have used the search feature here for about a week, the lines have been replaced. I figure I will use through the 4th of July put it on craigslist for $300 more than I paid and move on and up again.

+1
    oooooooh, Barter King!

that 717 is definitely a reliable engine. there are plenty of parts available i.e factory pipe but i doubt you will see mid 50's

+1
    That machine should be doing 46-47 GPS. It will easily get into the 50's with mods but will no longer be reliable, heck....it's old enough right now it might not be reliable. The 717 has a very long and heavy crank and they are known to wear out crank bearings. Use solder and measure the squish. If one of them (usually the rear) seems to have a lot more clearance then the bearings are already loose. I have 2 717's right now (1 modded), my buddy has one, and my bro-in-law has one (heavily modded). We all love them. They have plenty of power for playing while still being relatively easy on gas. As a bonus spare parts are EVERYWHERE. Also as you get into the 97+ 3 seater hulls you also are getting into a heavier hull so it takes even more power and more fuel to go fast.

thanks for knowledge.

I looked for factory pipes on Ebay. They are more than half what I paid for the ski and trailer. But, out of curiosity how much speed do they add?

+1
    not enough to bother, cause unles you get a performance rotary disc AND rejet the carbs. to do this would add 15 to 17 hp, BUT you really need to know how to tune for this, I had a gsxltd modded but reliable and it took the whole summer tweeking and when i finally got it, it ran for 8 years with normal maint and then i went Supercharged.....Dont GO there unless you really understand how 4-tec works...

+1
    Yes, unless you really understand jetting and plug readings, AND you know for sure the engine is nice and tight, don't do it. Also, there are still some early 717 Factory pipes floating around that have an outlet that is too small and will kill pistons, you need to make sure you are getting the right one. If I wanted to keep the GTi AND mod it for more power and speed I would probably go Factory pipe with their jetting recommendations and a plenum style flame arrestor. Add to that a lightened flywheel and a 587 PTO, then a good impeller, fresh wear ring, and maybe a slight d-cut into the ride plate to help raise the nose for more speed. I would also delete the oil injection system and go 40:1 premix. This should have plenty of power and put you into the 53-54 mph range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information