Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2001 SUV

2001 SUV

Okay, first off hello, I'm new to this whole scene. Never been a boater until my current girlfriend. She lives at the lake of the Ozarks so I frequent it when I can. Last year her moms waverunner took a crap, a 2001 SUV 1200 and it set for a year. I have just taken possession of it from her and would like to make a project out of it. I am mechanically inclined and my father was a mechanic so the work will be done in house so to speak. The motor is shot, zero compression etc. Have not had a chance to pull it yet to see how bad it is. Idk if shavings got in the crank or anything. So now that you know what I got let me start asking questions to you more knowledgeable people. I'd prefer to rebuild so I wont have a lump cost and I can space parts out. Is it possible to rebuild these engines. Boring them out and shaving the crank down new bearings, pistons, etc etc. I see top end rebuild kits for $400 plus a rebuilt crank for $400. would that do? Could I have mine ground down. I have a background in automotive engines not marine. So all the help is appreciated. As I am doing this rebuild I'd also like to know about mods for it. Better performance? worth it? anything cool or necessary that I should do while its in pieces? Thanks! Chase

+1
    Hi Chase, I am a new member. I have recently purchased a 2001 Yamaha SUV 1200 also. Unfortunately mine is running. Although I have been doing some upgrading and some maintenance. If you do anything to yours please TAG me and post some pictures and a few lines at least on how hard it is to fix, replace or rebuild. I am not mechanically inclined so remember that in your illustrations. Now your questions on the rebuild I can not help, but these guys on here are good. You just have to listen to them! Good luck with your rebuild!!! Post pictures and a few lines on your SUV. Thanks Cary

+1
    Fat, what part of NWGA are you from and where do you ride?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hildy19 View Post
    Okay, first off hello, I'm new to this whole scene. Never been a boater until my current girlfriend. She lives at the lake of the Ozarks so I frequent it when I can. Last year her moms waverunner took a crap, a 2001 SUV 1200 and it set for a year. I have just taken possession of it from her and would like to make a project out of it. I am mechanically inclined and my father was a mechanic so the work will be done in house so to speak. The motor is shot, zero compression etc. Have not had a chance to pull it yet to see how bad it is. Idk if shavings got in the crank or anything. So now that you know what I got let me start asking questions to you more knowledgeable people. I'd prefer to rebuild so I wont have a lump cost and I can space parts out. Is it possible to rebuild these engines. Boring them out and shaving the crank down new bearings, pistons, etc etc. I see top end rebuild kits for $400 plus a rebuilt crank for $400. would that do? Could I have mine ground down. I have a background in automotive engines not marine. So all the help is appreciated. As I am doing this rebuild I'd also like to know about mods for it. Better performance? worth it? anything cool or necessary that I should do while its in pieces? Thanks! Chase
    These cranks aren't like automotive cranks. They have roller bearings and are pressed together. So if your crank is bad, you need to have it rebuilt or replaced. Another piece of info you need to know about 2 stroke PWC engines...QUALITY parts make a huge difference.
    There are only 2 good choices for cranks: A OEM replacement or an OEM quality rebuild. Crankworks.com has a good reputation around here for very good quality crank rebuilding.
    Prox or OEM pistons are highly recommended. WSM pistons are also an ok option, IMHO.
    You should only use OEM crank seals.
    OEM gaskets are recommended also, but some aftermarket gaskets are ok also.

Well finally got around to checking the motor out today. Compression was 120 on the front 2 and 0 on the back cylinder. Assuming the worst how much am I looking at for a rebuild. 500 for pistons? 250 machine work. Gaskets. And if the crank needs rebuilt what is a typical rebuild run? ( I called and a total rebuild with oem parts is 1200 which is what a new one runs. Obviously I prolly won't need to have everything redone) but what is the average? 600?

+1
    the prox pistons are about $100 each..so maybe $325 with tax/shipping. Gaskets, sealer, threadlocker, spark plugs, carb rebuild kits...maybe $250ish. Maybe more.
    Who did you call for $1200 oem crank rebuild estimate?

I called crankworks about rebuilding it. I have not seen the extent of the damage yet but I wanted to get a worst case scenario in mind. I asked what it'd be to rebuild everything on the crank and they said 1200. a new one from Yamaha is 1200. obviously the hope is that everything is not trashed on it. not familiar with two stroke crank and how much would have to be redone. they don't look very much like a 454 or 350 crank that's why I am a little unfamiliar with them. Thank you for your help, i'm sure there will be more to come. Is there anything that would be advised to do while its torn apart? its looking like a nice winter project, didn't pay a thing for it so i'm already ahead.

didn't pay a thing for it so i'm already ahead
    I think you might be in over your head so you should give the ski to me. Heck I'll even come get it.

Theres three potential failures:
    1. Rings siezed on piston, but usually that means low and not no compression.
    2. Hole in the piston - lean condition. Metal fleck and parts inside the crank case - crank condition may still be OK or not.
    3. Rod snapped and lots of damage to things.

Would you be willing to sale the ski? I dont live to far from you. Just thought I would ask. Gotta GP1200R also if you would be looking to trade. Thanks and good luck with your ski. I have alot of experience with these SUV's so PM me and I will give you my number if you need any help.

Also got some parts for these if you need anything I may have I can save you some $.

Spencer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information