Unhappy Help!!!! 1996 Kawasaki 1100zxi has no piston rings...

So I bought a 96 kawasaki 1100zxi. Knowing it wasn't running.

I have a 750 zxi and they seem to be very much alike. I have rebuilt my top end 2 times over 10 years on my 750. So I figured whats a top end job on this 1100zxi?

Sooo my question is this, I opened up the motor and saw that the mag piston says .50 center piston says .75 and pto piston says .50 I am a lil confused.

But not as much as when I pulled the cyl block off and noticed that the pistons all 3 were missing all of their rings?!?!

Seems as tho someone was in there because there was black gasket maker everywhere...

I want to do a top end on it but since its outfitted with two .50 pistons and one .75 piston I'm not too sure what the hell to do with my cylinders. Go .75 over on all 3? Ideas anyone please.
    Last edited by K447; 07-06-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Thread title clarity

+1
    are your cylinders scored/damaged? if not then you dont need to do anything to them. maybe hone them or get them honed if it makes you feel better. if they are scored, then bring them all up a bore size or even make them all even at 1.00 so its easier to buy pistons. Having 2 at .50 over and one at .75 over wont hurt anything.

If i were you i would pull the part# off the pistons and order some rings, throw it back together and run the hell out of it

The cylinders look like they have been honed recently because I can see the hone patterns but the pto jug has 2 identical grove marks on the one side. There aren't supposed to be any grove marks I'd imagine. I just don't understand why would someone put a motor together without rings?

+1
    "Piston Rings? We don't need no stinkin' Piston Rings.

Apparently the guy that put it together felt that way. Now idk if I feel so good about just putting rings on and putting it back together. For one. I wouldn't be lucky enough. And any suggestions. Last motors I've done like on my 750 zxi the cylinders were tapered at the bottom to make the installation easier of piston with rings... Buttt the 1100zxi's cylinders are NOT tapered... Last time I was able to use hose clamps and slid the cylinders down onto the pistons... How would I go about it this time? Motor is still in ski by the way.

+1
    ive never needed a tool to put cylinders on. just pinched rings with my fingers and took my sweet ass time. if you can catch a finger nail on those grooves then you either need a bore or possibly a hone to clean it up. if no fingernail catch then toss on some rings and run it

See I think I'm beat on that idea because I have 2 identical groves on the same side on the pto cylinder. Almost like they belong there. But clearly they r not supposed to be there because the other 2 don't have those groves.. And I understand what you are saying bout taking my time and just squeezing the rings buttt these arnt single individual jugs. How would I put one in at a time when they come up and down at different times and the 3 cylinders are one piece. Idk...

+1
    do one at a time. i rebuilt my zxi1100 twice so i know what your talking about.

I'm going to bring the cylinders to get a mic on em do I kno what I'm working with. Ill keep posting the progress.

Thread Information