+1

Virage TXi fuel pump question

I have a Virage that has not run in 3 or more years. It has 96 hr on it and the compression is 140/145/130. I need to recheck the last setting in the next day or so. The motor would not start unless gas was put in the throttle body and it would run till the gas was gone. I did tap into the brown wire and the Fuel pump would run for 15 sec then stop run then stop. It would make a hgh and a low sound ind pitch when it was running. I just keep it hooked up and walked away. When I cam back it is now running all the time. It has been running non stop for over 30 min now and the fuel presure is 30 psi......is it fixed? Could it have been just stuck and needed to be run to lossen it up? It there a nother reason why id did what it did?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    All you can do is either run the fuel pump the way it is and see how long it lasts, or plan to replace it.

Did you drain out the old fuel and put in fresh 89 octane or better gasoline?

Was the old fuel stabilized before it was put away?

Does the engine now start on its own, without priming?

See my signature links for some useful info, especially about the fuel injector hose protective sleeving.

+1
    DO you think the Fuel pump is on the way out or just has not been run in a long time ant was stuck? I have not tried to start it after the pump started to work. I will be replacing the lines on Wed if all goes as planed. I got most of the fuel out and added some fresh fuel. I will drain it all out Wed. and put 10 gal of premium gas in. Is there any over the counter item to add to the fuel that may clean the injectors or fuel pump?
    I will have more updates on Wed.

+1
    I tend to stay away from fuel additives in general.

I cannot say whether your fuel pump will continue to work well, or for how long.

It may well have just been stuck from sitting so long. It could be just fine now. Hard to say.

+1
    The only other problem with this one is when I try to start it it clicks and nothing then if I keep hitting the start botton it will catch not sure but the bendix starter or solenoid. The solenoid will be the fastest fix. I have a extra bendix and starter but they will be a job. I think the starter is not to bad on the 1200 but I think I will need to move the gas tank up to put the bendix in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    The only other problem with this one is when I try to start it it clicks and nothing then if I keep hitting the start botton it will catch not sure but the bendix starter or solenoid. The solenoid will be the fastest fix...
    If the solenoid is the original black body type with metal backing plate, replace it. They are known to corrode internally and can fail entirely.

+1
    I have the all plastic one I will use. The person that had it before me replace it with one that had to be hardwired in and had the black one with the metal backing. I will get the pig tail and reinstall it. That will be a quicker job than the starter.

What is the best way to remove the exaust bolts? Should I spray someting on them and let them soak so they will not break off?

Thread Information