Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

94 polaris SL 750 weird charging problem

Hello keep me from dumping this off a cliff please!!
    I have a frustrating problem caused by my lack of understanding in electrical circuits on my 94 polaris SL 750.
    The problem is that the battery isn't charging. I have tested the red/purple wire coming out of the volt regulator to be between 13-15.5 volts depending on Rev of engine.
    I followed red/purp wire to a circuit breaker where it meets 12 volt battery. Both voltages reliably present.
    BUT I can only read the 13-15 volts when my meter is grounded to circuit boards ground strip, when I test from the batterys ground the voltage always reads 12, never the incoming 15.
    The battery will not charge as it runs and I cannot figure out why,
    I tried putting a jumper cable from the battery's ground to the panels ground and then I cannot read 15v anywhere.
    Any help would be textual gold to me at this point and would be greatly appreciated, thank you --RichardE

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

The ski operates normally otherwise? What does your voltage on your MFD read during operation?

+1
    Also - your ground path travels from the battery negative terminal, to the motor baseplate, through the block to the stator, through the black stator wire, to the ebox, and finally on the negative ground strip. Make sure all of these connections and wires are solid, clean, and in good condition.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Post some photos of the inside of your electrical box. It sounds like a ground connection is missing somewhere

Disconnect the battery negative cable. Is there any other wires connected to the negative battery post?

Now measure ohms between the loose end of the Black battery negative cable to the Black wire connections inside the electrical box. All should be zero ohms (under 1.0 ohms measured).

Thanks for the reply BlueFish, The MFD voltage I believe that I have read came from where the red/purple wire has a glass fuse on it and it reads 0 after the fuse and 15 before the fuse while running. The fuse works sometimes and I read 15 on both sides while the MFD is on. I didn't think that the MFD was neccesary for operation so I never repaired it.

+1
    Not necessary for operation, but to eliminate it as a possible contributing factor you should unplug the harness from the back of the MFD.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by product4 View Post
    ... The MFD voltage I believe that I have read came from where the red/purple wire has a glass fuse on it and it reads 0 after the fuse and 15 before the fuse while running.

The fuse works sometimes and I read 15 on both sides while the MFD is on. I didn't think that the MFD was neccesary for operation so I never repaired it.
    Unplug the MFD connector from the back of the MFD if you are not going to use it. Sometimes a dead MFD can cause weird ignition problems if left connected.

Sounds like the MFD fuse is bad or the fuse socket has corrosion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	304887

I hope this picture turns out, it's hard to make out the connections still

+1
    What color wire is attached to the 12v positive terminal next to the MFD fuse? Also, looks like a red 18 gauge butt connector on the end of a black wire over the coils. Is this connected to anything?

I will disconnect mfd harness and run engine and see if the battery is charging.
    What is so strange to me is that I have 15 volts in direct contact with the batterys 12 and only read a charging 15 voltage when i meter from battery positive to circuit panel ground. But when I meter to the battery's ground I no longer see 15 but only the 12. I see that the battery is grounded to engine, I see no other ground wires coming from battery or its connection to the engine. Lol dc circuitry baffles me completely. I appreciate all the replys guys

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information