Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

300X Water Box Drain Modification

I have removed the Water Box from my '11 Ultra 300X and would like to weld/install a bung on it to facilitate a drain. My plan is to run a hose to the rear of the JetSki hull, and install a plug that can be pulled at the end of the day that drains the Water Box. Seems simple enough, and I'm sure this isn't a new idea... Hoping someone can tell me, or show me their ideas of how to accomplish this. I'm sure the Water Box has Dividers/Baffles that will need to be dealt with as well in an effort to completely drain the Water Box. I have done a search and have not found pictures of descriptions of others attempts. If I have missed them please forgive me and point me in the right direction..................

On a similar thought the (4) rubber pads isolating the Water Box from the Cradle it sits in are not very effective. Iím planning to replace the stock rubber squares with largerand thicker sheet/squares of rubber. Anyone have suggestions for this upgrade/improvement as well?

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, it's been done but it's proved to be a waste of time if my memory serves me right.

I think Vman did this but still ended up with rusty valves.

You can clear the waterbox pretty easy. Just get the front of the trailer up as high as possible and give it a few revs. Let everything cool for an hour or so and do it again.

I agree about the rubber. Mine moved but I just glued the same piece down again and it's been fine since.

Cheers, Mal.

3. +1 by:

+1
    mate what a waste your as anal as wot man lmao, if you raise the front of your ski on the trailer give it a few revs, the water box i guarantee will be bone dry. proof is when you take the drop pipe off and there is no water in there. search wotmans posts he has done it but hes anal

+1
    I have been described as "Anal"... Typically "engineer types" (generally anal) constantly look for ways to improve where ever there is a "challenge". Personally my JetSki gets used by others that are not as anal as I am. With that in mind I would like them to effectively drain the Water Box without much instruction, OR concern of them over revving the engine, possibly hurting themselves lifting a tandem trailer with two JetSkis, forgetting lift/jack-up the trailer and do it a second time... Pulling ALL the plugs (hull drains, AND Water Box drain) at the back of the JetSki seems easy enough to instruct, and not very difficult to do. Also seems like a drain on the Water Box would just plain solve the issue of ANY post ride concern for residual water left in the Box.

BTW: I have read the MANY threads on this subject, and have followed the suggestions (lift the front of the trailer and start the engine and rev it up till no water comes out.). Doing this process several times as well. I pay particular attention to this process when I "winterize" the JetSki. When I removed the Water Box this spring it still had water in it. Although not much it did still have some. I suspect it had even more before the dry air of the winter evaporated some of it! I'm hoping some anal person like me has figured out how to COMPLETELY drain the Water Box without revving the unloaded (out of the water) engine at all. The whole process of revving the engine without a load on it seems kinda fought with potential for damage with inexperienced (read: not anal) operators. Just my anal opinion!!! (SMILE)

+1
    its all there it wotmans posts just make sure you use something that is heat rated it really isnt the problem you are percieving you dont even have to lift the trailer a flat area will do the job also when driving up the boat ramp is also a good time. do what you gotta do but you dont have an issue now do you?

+1
    No issue(s) that I am able to see. The Exhaust Filter looks in great shape (no rust or loose media). Does look like the engine is running a little rich (some, but not much black soot) on the Exhaust Elbow, Exhaust Filter, and Water Box inlet. I was just concerned as others are ("wothman") about completely draining the Water Box post ride, and the ease of that draining process. I do plan on using an aluminum bung, and a hose with a chemical/heat resistance. I currently do start and rev the engine if I'm on the JetSki when it's being pulled up the ramp. Seems like it’s at a good angle, and a good time to do it. I realize for most this is a non-issue, and probably not worth the effort, but a big part of my enjoyment with all my toys is tinkering with their designs with the intent of improvement. Sorta like my JetSki/Quad Audio System. It was a lot of work, but it gets lots of attention/compliments/requests for duplication but as I have said many times it was an interesting project and I was just tinkering..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jones View Post
    I have removed the Water Box from my '11 Ultra 300X and would like to weld/install a bung on it to facilitate a drain. My plan is to run a hose to the rear of the JetSki hull, and install a plug that can be pulled at the end of the day that drains the Water Box. Seems simple enough, and I'm sure this isn't a new idea... Hoping someone can tell me, or show me their ideas of how to accomplish this. I'm sure the Water Box has Dividers/Baffles that will need to be dealt with as well in an effort to completely drain the Water Box. I have done a search and have not found pictures of descriptions of others attempts. If I have missed them please forgive me and point me in the right direction..................
    Here ya go...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...167630&page=11

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Be careful, if you are relying on this to prevent moisture going back into the engine, without lifting the trailer up and reving the engine the correct way (by the manual) I think this could be worse.

The time you spend doing this for your mate would be better spent on getting him around and give him a detailed "training course" how to look after the ski correctly. I'm sure it would only take you an hour to go through this in detail with him but probably 4 hours to make a work-around that's not proven and has potential for failures.

+1
    Does anyone know of OR have pictures of the baffles inside the Water Box? I'm wondering if I need a "LONG" drill bit (drill bit with an extension) to provide a path for water to flow between the baffles and eventually to the drain via gravity. I guessing the baffles form individual compartments forcing the exhaust through a "labyrinth" path for noise suppression. I also suspect they don't form a perfect seal with the outer shell of the Water Box, but a "small hole" at the bottom of them (or it) should not impeded their purpose of holding water in each compartment/chamber. I don't own a camera scope so I'm hoping someone has cut one open and taken pictures!

+1
    Water will seep past the baffles, they are not fully welded in the box. You have Your box out... do some experimentation with it on the bench and You will see what I mean.

WB drain is a helpful tool in combating the 300's wet exhaust problem.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information