Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Weberpower MSX Wiring Harness Update Kits.. Assistance needed

Hello MSX guys, I need some assistance if possible; If you have purchased the PPU update kit or the COMPLETE Wiring harness update kit, can you contact me and /or post photos with installation tips here? I don't have access to a MSX, and I need to write some installation instructions for both kits. If you purchased the complete kit, I would like to talk with you asap, as I have a customer with a problem.. There are two kits, WEB-PPU-1 kit replaces the OEM "Fly by wire" Pedal position unit (PPU). It simplifies the system, and replaces the original components.

Link:
    http://www.weberpower.com/electrical...pdate-kit.html

The other WEB-PPU-2 Wiring Harness & PPU Update Kit The update kit includes the wiring harness, the PPU unit & components necessary to eliminate the PPU & IFB units that were used in the Polaris MSX-110 & MSX-150 watercraft.

Link:
    http://www.weberpower.com/electrical...pdate-kit.html

Thank you, 360 981-1157 [email protected]

The only modification I encountered with mine was with the PPU. I had to use a drill to slot one of the mounting holes as they didn't align exactly.

The wiring harness was fairly simple, just unplug all the connections on the old one, remove it, and then start replacing each connection with the new wiring harness. The updated wiring harness is longer than the Polaris harness but most of the excess can be stuffed in the rear of the ski. Maybe 3-4 feet of excess wiring harness, not enough to worry about. Don't misunderstand this mod, as it was a lengthy process to get the harness situated in the ski for a clean factory look. As with any good mod or repair, the more time spent, the better the result.

As far as instructions go, things that need to be mentioned are: the knock sensor can be accessed with a pair of long needle nose pliers (the sensor on the rear of the engine block (unsure if thats the knock sensor)), the mod of the hull for the PPU (unless I got an odd ball), the switch on the forward/reverse selector has to be unplugged to operate properly in the water as the updated harness reverses the rpm limiting function so rpms are limited while in forward gear. Simple fix is to unplug the rpm limiting switch.

Also, if I remember correctly, there was a short wire for the oil pressure switch that I didn't use because it was easier to use the existing wire connected to the oil pressure switch.

Almost forgot, there is a positive wire that connects to the constant positive side of the starter relay and a negative wire that connects to the ground/negative terminal on the intake manifold, I almost got those connections reversed, the positive wire has some red tape on it but at the time, all the connections were starting to look the same.

Something else I'm still unsure about is the two MAP sensor connections. They use the same plug and with the new harness, the connections can be swapped. I don't know if it matters or if I just accidentally made the correct connection but mine seems to be working and I haven't tried switching them to see if anything changes.

Maybe thats everything, I've been remembering bits and pieces as I go.
    Last edited by K447; 07-06-2013 at 08:11 AM.

+1
    Thanks Jbo,
    Did you have to disconnect the reverse switch?
    Can you elaborate on this? Where did you disconnect the switch if you did this?

Regards,
    Randy

If I remember correctly, the rpm limiting switch is not part of the updated wiring harness. Inside the hull, on the internal part of the forward/reverse selector, is where the switch makes connection. The switch has a short connector that plugs in to a longer connector that is combined with the fuel pump connector. The connection for the rpm limiting switch is basically at the selector. I just disconnected that connection and it works fine. I will try to take some pics tomorrow.

James

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_92 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the rpm limiting switch is not part of the updated wiring harness. Inside the hull, on the internal part of the forward/reverse selector, is where the switch makes connection. The switch has a short connector that plugs in to a longer connector that is combined with the fuel pump connector. The connection for the rpm limiting switch is basically at the selector. I just disconnected that connection and it works fine. I will try to take some pics tomorrow.

James
    However, with the Reverse switch disconnected, now there is no way to limit RPM to 3500 when starting the engine out of the water.

Starting is Reverse is the recommended method for avoiding RPM runaway when starting the engine out of the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	306532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	306534

Running the ski without the rpm limiting switch is definitely a downfall, however, as I mentioned in a previous post, the wiring harness update reverses the rpm limiting switch. Meaning the rpms are limited when the ski is in forward gear. The simple fix is to disconnect the switch. In the near future, I hope to be able to relocate the switch to restore the rpm limiting function.

For the safety of the ski, one could definitely connect the rpm limiting switch when the unit is out of the water and disconnect it when it is in the water, user preference.

+1
    The reverse switch is normally open (closed when reverse is engaged). It takes voltage in on Red/Purple line and sends it out via Yellow/Green when reverse is engaged. If the whatever logic is backwards... and it needs to see the voltage on Yellow/Green in order to think it's NOT in reverse and thus NOT limit RPMs... why not just wire in a standard spdt relay to reverse the switch logic?

You would only need to find a source for ground to run that additional wire... then hook-up the relay like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX-Reverse-Switch-Relay.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	306535

This was done on my Rio except with ground, not power, to ground the CDI to turn off the engine.

Cheers!

+1
    I appreciate the info; Please keep it coming as I am trying to keep you guys running!
    I don't have any skis and/or access to them anymore so I cannot test components. I think my associate can come up with a cure for the rpm limiter later, but he is swamped right now and it will be a few months before he can follow up on this. Possibly there is a "normally closed" switch that can be used? I understand it's virtually impossible to remove the reverse switch from the MSX without major disassembly? I agree the 3400 rpm limiter is a good thing.

The way I understand the information from Weber; The "runaway" problem is caused by an incorrect map file that has been written in the ECU by some problems with the lambda sensor, etc. The Bosch ECU doesn't have a program written in it for "no load" applications. From my research, you should be able to cure this by following the Learned Adaptive Procedure and letting the ECU re-learn the map file. Not all MSX owners have the runaway problem, and I think this is why?

The Bosch ECU is very complicated, and I am learning more every day!

Thank you,
    Randy

+1
    JBO,
    How long does it take to install the complete updated wiring harness?
    Customers want to know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information