+1

R2 Better Than R3 For Top Speed?

I noticed that most of the fastest reflashed machines in the 'Speed/Mods' thread used the R2. Any reason for this? Maybe less timing at high RPM?

+1
    It is my understanding that the R3 only pulls timing on the top end above a certain boost level (I think around 15lbs). So, the two reflashs should be pretty comparable under that amount of boost. I recommend you call/ email R&D.... their customer service is great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    It is my understanding that the R3 only pulls timing on the top end above a certain boost level (I think around 15lbs). So, the two reflashs should be pretty comparable under that amount of boost. I recommend you call/ email R&D.... their customer service is great.
    +1

for example lets say your boosting 20+ pounds, at this point the R2 will be slightly faster on top end because it keeps the 20* of timing at wot where the R3 allready retarded the ignition timing a few degrees to not allow your egts to climb. how much? im not exactly sure..

+1
    I've spoken with them and the way I understood it was the R2 has more timing on the top end then the R3. The R3 has more low end and mid range pull than the R2 does. They said the R3 pulls timing up top for safety and reliability reasons.

+1
    So the question should probably be: Do you want to be safer at a slightly less top speed, or a slightly higher top speed and have a cooked motor? High boost and too much timing can cook an engine before you can say Shit. Been there, know that. R&D knows what they are doing.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    R&D always suggested R3 every time I talked to them when I initially had my R1. They never mentioned the R2, Bill and Glenn always said forget the R1, R2 and go R3. Wish I had just done the R3 in the first place..... Save myself some money.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    I've spoken with them and the way I understood it was the R2 has more timing on the top end then the R3. The R3 has more low end and mid range pull than the R2 does. They said the R3 pulls timing up top for safety and reliability reasons.
    The thing that doesn't make sense about this is why would they not have both in the R3??

+1
    Thanks for the info guys. Thought there had to be some ignition timing difference.

Some of my drag racing friends tell me the trend is less timing and leaner mixtures than they used to run.

Thread Information