1996 yamaha waveblaster 700 $1800, and questions

I have the chance to buy one of these off of a co worker before he sells it to the public. It is a 96 waveblaster (red, with purple down in front of handle bar), it has riva exhaust, looks pretty like it's in pretty good shape. I talked him into selling it for 1800, without a trailer. It has a single carb, and still has oil injection setup (I think that need's to go right?).

Is that a good price for one?

Also how hard is it to get replacement parts for it? Are parts interchangeable with the yamaha superjet like i've heard?

Any other information would be muchly appreciated. I may buy it tomorrow.

Last question I promise, is this the best year and model type to get for a waveblaster?

Dan
    Last edited by djrowe007; 06-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by djrowe007 View Post
    I have the chance to buy one of these off of a co worker before he sells it to the public. It is a 96 waveblaster (red, with purple down in front of handle bar), it has riva exhaust, looks pretty like it's in pretty good shape. I talked him into selling it for 1800, without a trailer. It has a single carb, and still has oil injection setup (I think that need's to go right?).

Is that a good price for one?

Also how hard is it to get replacement parts for it? Are parts interchangeable with the yamaha superjet like i've heard?

Any other information would be muchly appreciated. I may buy it tomorrow.

Last question I promise, is this the best year and model type to get for a waveblaster?

Dan

It is a tad on the high side, but I understand why he is proud of it since I rode one for 4 years.

I believe what you are describing was a '95 Waveblaster I. In '96, Yamaha introduced a yellow Waveblaster II.

The 701 engine is as common as dirt, but only had 63hp (yes, many parts are interchangeable). With the stock 701 engine, the boat is a real dog. With the pipe, RIVA claimed an 18hp increase, but I believe that it also required 150psig compression. The boat really "begins" to wake up with this set up.

It would be better if you could secure the 760 engine, because stock it is about 90 hp and is basically the same size as the 701. If you had the 701 ported and added some compression, then with that pipe you should get 52-54 mph. With the 760 you should get much, much quicker and faster.

If you decide to do any work with this boat and engine, I would suggest that you contact Tim Judge. He not only raced this boat for RIVA back in the day, he helped to design and develope the pipe. I would suggest you send the engine to him and let him work his magic. There are easier pipes to work with, but they are expensive and hard to find.

The fun factor is off the chart for these boats, and it will take you many seasons to truly master it.

Definitely wouldn't pay that without the trailer. If it had low hours and was super clean then maybe, with the trailer.

I saw one the other day. They look like a lot of fun for sure, but are pretty slow. It's a cross between a standup and sitdown ski. Great for tricks. Would make a great second ski I think especially if you dont want a stand-up. The guy I saw with it was getting some great air, but I could see he wanted to try my GP12R (He even asked). He was running race/camII fuel so it smelled cool and probably had some mods too. The unit had no speed over about 30mph. Its a like a stunt street or dirt-bike on the water but without the speed.

$1800 is too much. I can score a late 90s GP1200 (Non R) for that around here. You need a trailer

To proove on if it's a 1995 or 1996, ask him if it's got Super BN 38mm Mikuni carbs and 62T engine cases. The power is up on this configuration for 1996 (+10Hp over the 1995 model, so 73HP)

1995 used 44mm Mikuni carbs and a 61X case (63HP)

check this one out....is this deal worth $6k????????????I was looking to get a few waveblasters for the kids...
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/3896644402.html

If the hood is purple it's not a 96, it's a 95. For those that wouldn't pay 1800 for a 96 without a trailer, you have absolutely no idea how the market us for these then.

On average the 96's are running $2500-3000 now. There are even some guys posting mint 96's for as high as $4500. A 93-95 can range anywhere from $900- as high as $2500.

+1
    What is the going rate for a mint '96 Raider 760 with 20 hours on a rebuild from Riva? Just curious. Not to get off topic, I think the Blaster is one hellova machine and if it's mint condition then I guess the market can get high.

Not sure on the Raiders but I don't think the demand is the same as it is for the B1's. I have just thinned out my blaster collection and i'm now down to 5 of them. My last one I sold last week was a bone stock 95 at $1800, and it sold in 1hr 12min of being posted. But then in turn I just purchased 2 more that I am scheduling to pick up since they are 2hr and 6hrs away.

Thread Information