Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

AFR Monitoring Question

Hey Guys

Im needing some advice on a problem that cropped up today when out riding.

I haven`t been running the sensor in the manifold for some time but i put it back in yesterday.... only because i have finally got the the gauge pod cover fitted to my lid.

Calibrated the sensor okay and fitted it too the exhaust mani. Everything looked good and seemed to work properly. AFR numbers were good...but when i got the ski up over 6000 rpm the AFR gauge suddenly dropped to 7.4 and was flashing this figure.

Coming of the power and returning to idle, sometimes the gauge would stop flashing this figure and return to normal...showing the normal AFR reading that i normally see at idle. Sometimes it wouldn`t though, id have to stop the ski.

If i let the ski sit for a while....then plug the lanyard back on and start the ski the sensor would work ok again.

If i keep the rpm`s below 6000...everything is okay but if i go over that or hammer it out of the hole, the sensor seems to fall over.

Im thinking the sensor is faulty...but cant understand why it works ok if i keep the ski under 6000 rpm, or if i really hammer it WOT.

Any ideas guys?

+1
    Okay Guys

Im not sure if this is relevant...but could this be the problem with my sensor reading issue.

My AFR sensor isn`t screwed into the manifold but into an adapter.....so it`s not directly in the exhaust gas stream.

My question is does it have to be ?

I took advice from an Innovate products supplier on this before installing this via the adapter and was told this would work....but now im not sure.

Should i just go ahead and pull the manifold and drill and tap it to accept the sensor directly and throw the adapter away?

+1
    What does it read at idle ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHER View Post
    What does it read at idle ?
    At idle it`s right at 11.9.

+1
    It could be a slight head gasket leak. Is the coolant level good?

+1
    If the adapter you have is the reducer one, yes remove it.
    Same symptoms happened to my ski. I removed the adapter, re-drilled and re-tapped to install the sensor directly into the manifold and it solved my problem.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    It could be a slight head gasket leak. Is the coolant level good?
    Coolant level is right between the High and Low levels on the tank Troy, but i`ll definately keep an eye on it. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pass1 View Post
    Same symptoms happened to my ski. I removed the adapter, re-drilled and re-tapped to install the sensor directly into the manifold and it solved my problem.
    Now that pass1 brought this up, I remember other people having problems with the adapter.

+1
    Yes, that`s exactly what it is. It`s s/steel and comes of the manifold at about 45 degrees. Cant remember the size of the hole i had to drill and tap in the mani but it`s a good bit smaller than the sensor itself. Will pull the manifold and drill and tap it too the correct size for the sensor. Im sure i`ve seen a thread with the drill and tap size somewhere....i`ll have a look for it. Thanks Guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by heckie View Post
    Yes, that`s exactly what it is. It`s s/steel and comes of the manifold at about 45 degrees. Cant remember the size of the hole i had to drill and tap in the mani but it`s a good bit smaller than the sensor itself. Will pull the manifold and drill and tap it too the correct size for the sensor. Im sure i`ve seen a thread with the drill and tap size somewhere....i`ll have a look for it. Thanks Guys.
    That may not be the only cause. Mine just started doing the same thing you describe but my sensor is over two years old. I just installed and calibrated a brand new sensor last night and plan on riding tomorrow morning.

Mine is mounted fully in the manifold.

Btw you can get the sensors for $36 bucks at advance auto with coupon code es123.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information