1992 Waverunner 650

Hi Everyone, I recently picked up this ski for cheep because of a cracked hull. Now I find the engine may also be bad. At first it sounded more like the impeller was hitting the wear ring then the sound drastically changed. In the first video everything sounds semi normal(besides the growling) I was able to rev it without any problem. It just so happens that at the end of that video I thought I heard the engine sound change. I started the engine back up and now hear this loud knock and I cant rev the engine(you can hear me open it up to full throttle at one point). The second video you could hear the knock more. What do you all think it is? Im guessing something was loose(hence the growling then it must have finally let go). Thanks for the help

My other question is if the engine is bad does it pay to do a rebuild on it(I would do it myself). I mean it is a 92 so im not sure. Thanks again

What did you pay for it if you dont mind? Might be good to part out or rebuild. Were you planning to fix the hull?

I paid 175 with the trailer(really was just after the trailer). I already fixed the hull. Yesterday morning it started up great again with no engine knock but then as it was running for a while the same thing happened. I felt the heads and they were real hot. I figured maybe its not getting enough water from the hose. I back it down to the boat launch strapped to the trailer. I had it running there for a long time with no problems and a cool cylinder head. I have a feeling there is a temp sensor in there that senses if it overheats and then cuts the spark out(hence why it sounded almost like a knock) I plain on test ridding it this weekend so I will let you all know what happens. Thanks

Thread Information