Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do I really need to get first service at 10 hours or is 15-20 fine?

I just bought my first ski. Its a 2013 Yellow Vxr, lovin it so far. Dealer obviously tried selling me all this extended warrantys and service plans. I bought the ski memorial day, so got the 3 year unlimted hour warranty with it for free. Dealer said I've gotta bring it back at 10 hours for first service. Is this necessary? I was thinking its like an oil change. Sure its great to change every 3000 miles, but 5000-7000 miles is perfectly ok for city drivin. Any thoughts or comments? They want $199 for first service.

It's a brand new engine so if do it at 10hrs. It would get rid of any metal shavings.

By the stuff to do it. It comes out alot cheaper than the first service.

Oil extractor, oil change kit and read your manual for the rest.

+1
    $199 is a steal here in texas the cheapest I found was $285 and that's with my survey coupon of $25 he said I can go over but I'm not going over 12hours they do an oil change change spark plugs regardless of fouling grease intermediate housing check nuts bolts and throttle cable basically a full check from bow to stern I had to call them today and ask this question so it wouldn't ruin my 4th of July plans I have 8 hours right now and he said I should be fine if I went over the 10 mark

Its $199 for 10 hour service, Riva here charges over 385 for every service thereafter. I've alway changed my motorcycle/car oil, filters and plugs, but never had pwc, so kind of hesitant to tackle myself initially. I'm sure there's a million youtube howto videos, just don't want to screw anything up since its new. I'll look up some oil extractor and change kits, see how its done.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Its a good idea to let a Factory Authorized Dealer do the 10 hour service, just to help keep the warranty valid, its not going to void your warranty if you do it yourself, but it may help if you have a problem later down the line , they might have been able to catch a problem early and not damage your ski....I let a Dealer do the Full 10 hour service, had them check valve clearances at 100 hr and 200 hrs,so it would be documented and did all the other maintenance items myself.... FWIW....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vxrdude View Post
    I just bought my first ski. Its a 2013 Yellow Vxr, lovin it so far. Dealer obviously tried selling me all this extended warrantys and service plans. I bought the ski memorial day, so got the 3 year unlimted hour warranty with it for free. Dealer said I've gotta bring it back at 10 hours for first service. Is this necessary? I was thinking its like an oil change. Sure its great to change every 3000 miles, but 5000-7000 miles is perfectly ok for city drivin. Any thoughts or comments? They want $199 for first service.
    Where are you located?

Banned User
    +1

+1
    You can perform the service yourself and will not void the warranty. You are covered under the Magnuson Moss Act. Just keep all receipts.

+1
    Personally,I've never brought any of my new vehicles in for first service,or for that matter,any oil change or checkup,unless there was a problem with vehicle,if your inclined to do it yourself,by the proper oil & Oem oil filter,& a good oil extractor, keep all receipts,keep records of hrs and date of service,and save yourself $$$,and get the gratification,that u did it yourself & learned more about your ski.

+1
    That $200-OMG! the dealer charges would buy a lot of gas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information