+1

oil change question/ problem

So after a few rides on my 09 fzr and the oil light coming on after I let off the throttle after long period of a full throttle run. I decided its time to change the oil. When I sucked the oil out of the dipstick with the pump I got under 2 quarts out? I only have maybe 10 hours on that oil change. Is it supposed to use that much oil? I refilled it with 4 quarts and I'm just over the full line. I have about 3 days left on the Yamaha yes warentee, will they cover this if this is not normal.

Whatever amount you take out, you put the same back in.

My ski when bought new from the dealer had the oil between the low and the full. A hair higher than the middle.

I was able to almost take out 3 full quarts. I put the same amount back in.

I suggest removing the excess oil you put in.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I'm maybe a milimeter over the full line right now and I planned to take out as much needed to get me down to the full line. I did everything possible to try to get every last drop of oil out. It was up down on its side you name it and still I was only able to get out about a quart and a half???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    So after a few rides on my 09 fzr and the oil light coming on after I let off the throttle after long period of a full throttle run. I decided its time to change the oil. When I sucked the oil out of the dipstick with the pump I got under 2 quarts out? I only have maybe 10 hours on that oil change. Is it supposed to use that much oil? I refilled it with 4 quarts and I'm just over the full line. I have about 3 days left on the Yamaha yes warentee, will they cover this if this is not normal.
    Well if you're concerned about a warranty issue and it's that close to expiring, take it to the dealer for a check up now.
    As far as the oil level, see my comments on this thread below:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199908

+1
    I think my oil was way low to begin with so putting in the same amount is useless

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    I think my oil was way low to begin with so putting in the same amount is useless
    So you did not check the oil level before the change?? If so you were definately low to start with.

you do have a dip stick on your ski. you can check if you're hi or lo at anytime.

+1
    I checked it every time the buzzer went off on the water and it read full but the way the ski sits in the water and the way I do a oil change (fully level) I guess are different. No I didn't check it on the dipstick before I changed the oil.
    I did take out one full quart from the 4 I put in and I'm just over the middle of the dipstick. Im going to take it out and warm it up to see where im at after a few minutes of low rpms in the water.

The problem is I still only took out maybe a quart and a half-2 quarts of oil out and I put 3 quarts in, so where did the rest of the oil go on a 68 hour ski

Thread Information