2000 Genesis FFI Tripping breaker when stop switch pressed

Got my EMM repaired everything seemed OK.

Well now i push the start stop button and it trips the Circuit breaker. Tach not working either.

I can reset breaker, crank, run fine but not tach. push stop button and bam circuit breaker trips.

I am at wits end checked every wire ground can't find anything. Help
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Was the electrical box wiring taken apart during the repair?

Went all through the wires checked they were all in the right place and clean. I replaced the breaker with some spade fuses 5 amp and a 15 amp hasn't blown either one so far may have a bad 15 amp breaker that's the one tripping I'll keep starting and stopping it to see if it blows that fuse. May just do away with the breakers and use the later model fuse holder. Run the wires through were the breaker holes are. I have seen that done on one. We always had problems with those type breakers in the military we changed Hundreds of them on the tanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have seen these circuit breakers (labelled Reset Button on Polaris) fail due to internal corrosion and sometimes the plastic shell develops cracks.

In general if it is not corroded or cracked these simple circuit breakers seem to work well enough. If the clear plastic flexible dome is missing or damaged then it will allow water into the circuit breaker, which is no good.

I seem to prefer breakers to fuses on watercraft as changing fuses while out on the water is way more fiddly than just pressing a reset button. That said, if a short circuit did occur in the electrical system, fixing the actual problem is unlikely to be easy while bobbing around with the seat in a footwell!

Yea looks like i found some marine breakers the same size on ebay for 5.00 so I'll order some I measured mine and the ones on ebay are so close i don't think I will have any problems. I didn't see any corsions in side but the little thermal strip was real flimsy.

Thread Information