2002 Virage Stator

I just got my 2002 Virage 700cc, carb... back from the local shop.
    It needed it's 3rd, yes 3rd CDI and Stator. I talked to the guys there a bit and they say that the setup on the virage is pure junk and that he pretty much can guarantee me that it will need to be replaced again in the future. He said that all the Polaris PWC he sees, seem to have this issue. The Stator conks out, gets hot, whatever, and then takes out the CDI with it. I personally dont have a good opinion on the topic because of the repairs, but I have an open mind to ideas.
    Does anyone else out there have problems similar to this, and is there a 'fix' to prevent this from happening again?
    Is there a way to put in parts from a seadoo, yamaha, kawasaki, that are more reliable?

Thanks for any feedback or thoughts on the topic.

+1
    What part of the stator actually fails ? Do you have test results ?
    Which wire it is could help determine

Banned User
    +1
    Connecting a battery backwards can cook the electronics. Do you ever use a battery charger with the battery still connected? That is not s good thing to do either. Jump starting from a running vehicle is a no no as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jd27853 View Post
    ... they say that the setup on the virage is pure junk and that he pretty much can guarantee me that it will need to be replaced again in the future. He said that all the Polaris PWC he sees, seem to have this issue.

The Stator conks out, gets hot, whatever, and then takes out the CDI with it...
    This is not the common experience among Polaris owners on Greenhulk. Typically the Gen III ignition system (which is factory OEM on the Virage) is fairly reliable.

The pre-2000 domestic ignition system did have reliability issues with the stator, but those were never used on the Virage. Polaris issued an update kit for those older engines that retrofits them to Gen III ignitions, just like your Virage.

I would be looking through the electrical system for something that is not quite right. Just because it starts and runs does not mean there are no issues.

I would be suspecting;

Bad or loose ground connection. Remove, clean and check every ground connection, including cleaning the grounding bolt and engine case threads. No (or very, very little) Loctite on electrical grounding bolts, clean metal to metal contact is required.

Loose or intermittent electrical connection or internally broken wire. Disconnect and examine the stator external connector, the terminal board in the electrical box, all black wires and ground points inside the electrical box, etc.

Loose or corroded power connection. Start by removing and cleaning all wires on the Start solenoid (disconnect battery first, of course).

What kind of battery are you using? Does the battery normally hold its charge during the summer?

Do you use an AC powered battery charger? What kind (make/model)?

Are you always careful to never connect the battery polarity backwards?

When I bought my 01 Virage 700 carb in 2010 from a coworker, it was having an intermittant no-start issue. I took the ski to a certified Polaris mechanic doing pwc work out of his house b/c the local dealership would no longer work on pwc's. The guy told me my problem was either the stator or the CDI (couldn't confirm which) and suggested I have him replace both. Even 3 years ago when the CDIs were available for my ski, both the CDI & Stator plus his labor were going to cost roughly twice what I'd paid the coworker for the ski. I paid the guy for his diagnostics and pulled the ski back home.

That's when I started doing my research and found this forum. It took hours of digging and mining through posts, learning the diagnostics, buying a couple tools and making a couple; and I was finally able to confirm my stator was completely fine, but the CDI was on its way out. The CDI in my ski was 9 years old (180 hours) when I replaced it myself. I can't convey how satisfying it was to diagnose and replace that single part........because of the understanding and knowledge I gained of how the ski works along the way. With this forum as a resource, I'm not afraid to tackle any issue this ski might have. The only issue going forward is a viable parts supply for them. I should've picked up a spare CDI back then........because they're essentially unobtanium now with the exception of a vendor on ebay which has them marked up 180% of retail.

My point here is the Polaris mechanic I took my ski to wanted to generically replace both the stator & CDI as a matter of course.....without really confirming if which/either/both were bad. I wonder if some of that might be at play here with your guy(s)? I post very little here, but I read A LOT.......your's is pretty much the 1st time I've read of a ski eating both stators & CDIs like this outside of some other causative issue/event damaging them.

Do yourself a favor and download a service manual; do some research on how these parts work/interact and how to diagnose them yourself. You'll save money and learn a lot about your ski.
    Last edited by hkg3k; 07-01-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    the 700 cdi's that fire both coils at the same time are more prone to fail.the older 700 cdi setups amd the 1050 were more prone to have the stator fail.nobody wanted to replace the exciter coil on the early stators so the stator and cdi's were replaced with the gen 3 stuff.i'd like to get pvl to make some new replacement stuff for the 700 stuff that runs off the stock stator and goes back to a coil that just fires one plug at a time

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    ...i'd like to get pvl to make some new replacement stuff for the 700 stuff that runs off the stock stator and goes back to a coil that just fires one plug at a time
    It would be useful if the next generation of replacement CDI and stator were universal, compatible with both two and three cylinder engines.

And if that replacement CDI would work with both Gen III and the older Gen II/I stators, that would be a nice bonus.

Having separate parts for each engine configuration is just a burden. Better to have a universal part that you just hook up as needed to match your engine configuration.

Thread Information