Question *HELP! Please read: Replaced Damaged Reg/Rec, now no VTS and P0600 code*

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2004 RXP in very good condition, only about 94 hours. We have since been working on it, since it had stood unused for a while. We replaced fuel filters, the fuel float sensor, cleaned out the gas tank, polished the hull, etc. When running the ski to check if everything was good, we ran into the dreaded flashing red light and "Low 12V" message with no trouble codes. After some troubleshooting, we found that we had a damaged regulator rectifier. I ordered a replacement online, non-original, since we wanted to get on the water fast and could not find an original one in-stock. Got the new reg/rec, installed, cranked up the ski and found voltage measured at the battery to be fine, charging system was working again.

Here is where it gets pretty weird. We were running it on the hose, so we could measure voltage and make sure everything was fine, before running it in the ocean. Suddenly we get a long beep and the info screen flashes the "SENSOR" message. I perform the self diagnostic (press 'SET' 5 times) and get the code for VTS/Compass, P1517. At that point I thought something might have caused the MPEM to "forget" this is an RXO without compass and with VTS, so we called it a night, until my mechanic could come check it with the diagnostic tool.

Mechanic comes and connects the scanner, checks codes and gets a P0600 code, in addition to the 1517. The P0600 is some kind of communication error for the MPEM. We tried a "known-good" MPEM, to confirm the problem is in the ski itself, with the same results. All connections look fine, no corrosion or burnt wires or anything. No luck in getting the VTS to work either, even though it had worked perfectly up to this point. We decide to disconnect the non-original reg/rec just to confirm it didn't cause anything, since it was the only change we had done. We were surprised to find that as soon as the replacement reg/rec is disconnected, the P0600 code goes away.

Can using a non-genuine regulator/rectifier cause the computer to sense a false "communication error"? I would like to avoid having to wait for a new SeaDoo part, if I'm not sure this is what is causing the problem.

Sincerely, we are baffled. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to give all necessary information to receive informed advice.
    Thanks for bearing with me!

JCG

+1
    It does sound like the non original seadoo part is the issue.

Also remember not to run it on the hose for too long.

If it hasn't run for a long time I wouldn't venture too far from shore without a riding buddy.
    These skis don't like to sit and when they do issues do POP up.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    from what ive heard the p0600 is related to flashing the ecu. i get it here and there, but it doesnt cause any issues.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    On my candoo pro i think the p0600 is the standard for the tool to communicate when its plugged in initially

Yeah, I think I'll ignore the p0600, since the ski is running fine. Now, the mechanic checking it out was unable to get my VTS working again. I'm sure the MPEM doesn't know it's there, since there is no indicator on the cluster. He tried activating it through BUDS but he said it would not stay activated. Any advice or "how to", for activating VTS with BUDS, for when we go at it again. My mechanic is not so experienced with the system.

Thanks,
    JCG

What is a good way to clean the ski's electrical connections?
    I was out on it last Saturday and had my cluster acting up. Engine runs fine, although I have the code for the compass, since it has not been corrected to remove compass, activate VTS, but that is the only code. Suddenly I noticed that my fuel gauge will only show at idle. When I accelerate, the fuel indicator bars disappear, until I'm at idle again. Also, the mode button would only work intermittently and my speedometer did not work at all. I should point out that all of this was working perfectly the last time I rode it, a week before. I would like to clean up all cluster connections before trying anything else. Any tips for cleaning? I'll spray them with contact cleaner, but is there anything else I can do to get them as good as new?

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianC View Post
    What is a good way to clean the ski's electrical connections?
    I was out on it last Saturday and had my cluster acting up. Engine runs fine, although I have the code for the compass, since it has not been corrected to remove compass, activate VTS, but that is the only code. Suddenly I noticed that my fuel gauge will only show at idle. When I accelerate, the fuel indicator bars disappear, until I'm at idle again. Also, the mode button would only work intermittently and my speedometer did not work at all. I should point out that all of this was working perfectly the last time I rode it, a week before. I would like to clean up all cluster connections before trying anything else. Any tips for cleaning? I'll spray them with contact cleaner, but is there anything else I can do to get them as good as new?

Thanks!
    They sell in pretty much any autoparts store a spray bottle to clean electric connectors spray that an then doit again with wd40 that will clear any moisture or any dirt/corrosion/salt deposits it might have..

Thread Information