Thread: charging system

+1

charging system

getting back into the msx conversion again.problem have right now is its not charging.using the updated stator and cdi.with red/pur and yellow both disconnected im getting a .7 reading.hooked up the red/pur to battery and even when running i have only bat voltage on yellow

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What about the LR module?

Is it hooked up correctly? Grounded?

Known good module?

+1
    im useing an lr 50.with the red/pur hooked up to battery voltage when its running should the voltage be unregulated (15 plus)volts

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rr44red View Post
    im useing an lr 50.with the red/pur hooked up to battery voltage when its running should the voltage be unregulated (15 plus)volts
    Are you sure you understand how the Polaris charging system works?

The charging current to the battery does NOT come out of the regulator, it comes out of the stator Red/Purple wire.

The LR voltage regulator does need to connect to both Yellow and Red/Purple, and ground is critical, but the Red/Purple connection to the LR module is for sensing the battery voltage, not as an output.

When engine is running and LR module is properly connected and working, the battery charge voltage should be about 14.5 volts, give or take.

+1
    right now the charging system is not working.all i get is battery voltage on the red/pur when the engine is running with every hooked up.if i unplug the yellow wire from the lr regulator should i not get 15-18 volts or am i thinking wrong.

+1

How the Polaris LR module works with the charging system, Yellow & Red/Purple stator

Quote Originally Posted by rr44red View Post
    right now the charging system is not working.all i get is battery voltage on the red/pur when the engine is running with every hooked up.if i unplug the yellow wire from the lr regulator should i not get 15-18 volts or am i thinking wrong.
    Yellow wire provides AC voltage! It. Is a coil in the stator powered by the rotating flywheel magnets, hence the output is AC voltage.

The LR module contains a rectifier and a voltage sense and charging control function. When the LR module is providing full charge current, it is effectively a diode between Yellow wire and Ground.

Note that the other end of the stator charging coil is the Red/Purple attached to the battery. If one end of the stator coil circuit loop is grounded through a rectifier diode, the current going out the other end is also rectified, and the Red/Purple wire pumps charging voltage and current into the battery.

The LR module monitors the voltage being pumped into the battery by watching its own connection to Red/Purple. When the charging voltage starts to rise above the target range the LR module modulates the diode connection to ground, thereby controlling how much energy gets rectified and sent to the battery.

Note that when the Yellow stator wire is disconnected from the LR module, what you then have is a charging coil with one end open circuit and the other end connected to battery positive. In this situation what you will have is 12 volt battery DC voltage with unregulated charging coil AC voltage superimposed on top of the battery voltage. This is DC plus AC, which most common multimeters cannot properly measure.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I just took some pictures of the hook up you did last year using the separate 780 on Amys 700 Virage. Might be a good way to prove if the regulator side is bad in the LR 505.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    I just took some pictures of the hook up you did last year using the separate 780 on Amys 700 Virage. Might be a good way to prove if the regulator side is bad in the LR 505.
    I only half remember what we did for that.

It was supposed to be a temporary fix, wasn't it?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    We just hooked the yellow pigback to the LR 505 yellow and the red and purple to the board. Taped off the orange. It now has a different 505 on it.

Thread Information