Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 polaris freedom 700 bogs real bad and top speed 30 mph

I just bought a 2002 polaris freedom 700(?) and I am having a problem with it bogging or dying when giving it gas. It takes a little bit to get it started but once it does it idles OK on its own and revs up decent out of the water. Problem is that when you give it gas it dies but will start right back up. If I ease on the throttle I can finally get it to go but it tops out at 25-30 mph. To fill you in, it has a new engine in it and has been ridden several times with this condition. The oil cable is disconnected but the oil line is still connected with oil in it. We are pre-mixing the gas(ethanol) at 24:1. We have the gray fuel lines and I pulled the carb off and found trace amounts of the green goo that everybody is talking about in the line. When I disassembled the carb it is clean and all of the jets look open and not clogged. There did not seem to be any fuel in the carb that spilled out when I turned it upside down or split it open like a motorcycle carb would have when you take it off and the mixture screw is out 3 and 1/8 full turns. I have changed the plugs a couple of times and they seem to be getting oil soaked and it smokes quite a bit especially when cold and you can smell it when riding behind on another ski. I am a motorcycle mechanic but some things on a jet ski I do not know. Could this be a reed or fuel delivery issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Way too much oil! Normal ratio is about 40:1, you are running 24:1 + the oil injection (cable disconnected does not stop oil from being injected).

Fix your oil issue and the ski will likely run better.

Kinda figured that the oil might be getting syphoned in also. How long should a new engine need to be broken in anyway? Thanks!

+1
    I've seen 2 smoke spec'd out as much as 16:1 oil ratio. I doubt if oil ratio is your issue for the simple fact is your ski is running. If 24:1 hard to ignite then you can't even start the ski. I'm using oil injection and when I do break in I premix first tank at 40:1, in other word my ski is running as much as 20:1 on its first tank. It just smokes a lot though

3-1/8 turns out is way too much, this hurts your bottom end. Normally this would be around 3/4 to less than 2 turns. Search around and see what your is (spec for 2000 Virage is 3/4).

Are both cylinders equally warm after running?

Take the flame arrester off and look down the carb throat and see if there's fuel dripping down while running. You should see a mist when throttle is applied, dripping means too much fuel, fuel return restrictor is clogged. If dripping even at idle then needle/seat valve is stuck open or regulator arm is too high.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    Kinda figured that the oil might be getting syphoned in also. How long should a new engine need to be broken in anyway? Thanks!
    See my signature links for plenty of useful info.

Also plenty of engine break-in info already posted in other threads on Polaris GreenHulk. Search is your friend

+1
    Not syphoned, literally pumped at full pressure. With the cable simply off,the spring pushes the arm past WOT position and pumps max oil.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Not syphoned, literally pumped at full pressure. With the cable simply off,the spring pushes the arm past WOT position and pumps max oil.
    So the system is a fail safe design in case your cable breaks.... It seems to me that WOT throttle oil rate plus a heavy pre-mix could cause running issues.

+1
    I would run 32 to 1 on premix and two tanks of gas before doing a any wot riding keeping the rpms under 5000.

Can I plug off the oil line? Don't want pressure building up and hurting the pump.

+1
    You need to remove the pump if you are going to use premix.

Note; the oil pump will blow off any plug or the hose if left connected to the engine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information