STX15F trim modifications

I am brand new to the group and feeling my way around. That said, after reading a great volume of what has been posted i do not see any dedicated discussion of adding manual or auto trim to the 15f's. I would have thought this to be a lively topic. Have I looked in the wrong place?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    your not lookinf in the wrong place and it does exist. generally it was used only in a race only format though for closed course racing. the hull itself without tabs at one point was one of the best hulls for closed course racing. derivatives of it are still used today for aftermarket hull for the yamaha and seadoo side of things.

with the 15F you have to option for trim. technically three depdning on how mecanically inclined you are.

the first option is mechanical trim tabs operated by a level.. whether it is cable pull or pneumatically actuated is up to yourself. cable pull is dependant upon hand strength. pneumatically actuated is easier to use but it a little more involved to install.

the second option is a drop nozzle that automatically lowers the nozzle when the bars are turned either left or right.

both of the above options are nose down only modifications helping the boat turn better at speed.

the third option is retrofitting the trim system from the 300x.

although this is probably the most costly option and the most inolved to install, it will give you true nose up and nose down trim enabling you to bring the nose out of the water or plant it for turning. the only downfall is integrating it into the 15Fs elwctrical system and its not as fast a response as the other two systems

that should about cover it unless i am missing something

OK great. i'm getting warmer. I will be using my ski for fairly light recreation. I want to try pulling ski's and tubes but most of all want to out manuever my buddy on his 02 GP1200R . I have to imagine that others have done some or all of these options and discussed the benefit / loss of them. I have seen only one (possibly two) kits that are sold by multiple companies. Skiworx.com lists the auto trim (which is modified further with cable and lever to make it a manual trim?). I do have decent mechanical abilities but am Brand Spankin' New to PWC's. Please bear with me if some obvious lack of understanding shows through.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    the first step is to determine a budget, from there we can help you out.

Cheapest way is to weld tabs onto the 15f exit nozzle and add the trim ring and steering nozzle from the gpr along with the grip trim and cables.

Sean

I am looking for something bolt on for my specific ski. Most doubtful that I would endeavour to weld tabs and route cable and gear from another manufacturer. In terms of a budget I would have to say that after 1000 bucks I'm out. The gear from skiworx priced out at 800 or so...has anyone seen or done this mod?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oilbrnr View Post
    I am looking for something bolt on for my specific ski. Most doubtful that I would endeavour to weld tabs and route cable and gear from another manufacturer. In terms of a budget I would have to say that after 1000 bucks I'm out. The gear from skiworx priced out at 800 or so...has anyone seen or done this mod?
    ski worx doesnt have the greatest track record with people on this site.

with a proper set of sponsons, an intake grate, and a ride plate you can set that hull up to handle quite well... with out needing trim either

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oilbrnr View Post
    Either way you need to route cables unless you setup an auto drop.

Sean

Thread Information