2002 Virage i no spark

Great ski with 70 hours ran perfect, put it on my seawall, and ran it every week, but last week would not start, no spark. Battery shows 12.2 at battery, meter on dash shows 11.6. When I turn it over it lowers to 9.6, 8.8 range. Could this just be the battery? It will not charge higher. I put a charger on the battery and selected start mode, meter on dash kicked up to 12.2, still below 10 while starting. Turns over fine.... Thanks for any ideas.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do not use 'start mode' battery charger. That can fry the electronics.

Replace the battery if it is weak.

I recommend the Deka brand ETX16LM type battery. It is AGM and much better than typical lead-acid batteries.

I replaced the battery and I have 12.8 which drops to 10.2 when starting. I believe that is OK. The "check engine" message comes up and the red light flashes when I turn it over, still no spark. Any ideas what to check first?

So any help would be appreciated. No spark, good battery, was fine a week ago. Where should I start looking.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    start mode typically has a high a/c value and that alone can fry the emm. I would only use that on a big fat disel engine and then only if it was an emergency situation.(dude get the snowplow/generator/waterpump going or we're done!)

the check engine light while cranking is a sure sign that you need to check the sig links, rig up your led test light and read the codes off the emm and go from there.

if that's too much for the moment..check the CPS at the front of the engine and the voltage at the red/white injector feeds ( should be 20+V during cranking)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricor View Post
    I replaced the battery and I have 12.8 which drops to 10.2 when starting. I believe that is OK.

The "check engine" message comes up and the red light flashes when I turn it over, still no spark. Any ideas what to check first?
    10.2 volts while cranking indicates a weak battery when cranking. A strong battery would be around 11.0 volts, maybe a tad more.

See my signature links for how to make and use the Simple LED code reading tool.

Thread Information