Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2002 Virage Ignition Timing

Guys I recently replaced the CDI in this ski and want to verify the ignition timing. It is topping out at 5000 rpm on the water. 30 mph. I have already looked been through the carb and everything looks great. Sadly I did not bring my Virage Manaul down, so I am unsure of the procedure. Can someone either point me to the manual or help me out with the procedure and tools needed. I have been looking all over the site and can not find the manauls. I was sure I got them from here.

+1
    It is the standard virage by the way. Red/carbed/2 cyl

After I replaced the CDI in my 01 Virage 700 carb model, I found timing to be WAY OFF to the retarded side.....this with the magnet holder screws centered in the flywheel grooves. Ski started and ran fine on the trailer, but once in the water fell flat on its face. As viewed from the front, I wound up turning the magnet holder clockwise all the way to the stop(s) in the flywheel to get the timing right. Several other folks have reported the same issue with new CDI installation. Manual states to always confirm timing after CDI or Stator replacement.

If the 02 is the same as the 01; Timing is 20* BTDC @3000rpm
    You will need to find TDC......you pretty much need a dial caliper.
    20* BTDC equates to 0.1" or 2.55mm of piston travel.
    "Zero" your dial caliper @ precisely TDC
    rotate the flywheel to back down the piston 0.1" (2.55mm) on the dial caliper (make sure this is BTDC, not ATDC)
    place a mark on the flywheel which lines up with the metal timing pointer
    use a timing light to see how close your mark is to the timing pointer
    adjust timing by shifting the magnet holder clockwise (advance) or counter clockwise (retard) as viewing the flywheel from the front.
    Your best bet at maintaining 3000 rpm to perform the test will be with the ski strapped to the trailer in the water and have a helper.

HTH
    Last edited by hkg3k; 06-30-2013 at 08:49 AM.

+1
    Thank you so much.

+1
    Ok, update with additinal questions. I have the high start flywheel per the part number. I found TDC on the cylinders. I also noticed that the flywheel has a sticker on it showing 0-35 which I assume is for timing. I did not find a timing pointer, but assume I use the center of the hole that the allen plug was in. Now with the front cylinder at TDC the 0 mark on the label is on the bottom left when facing from front of the pwc to the back. Using the rear cylinder tdc the mark is to the top right. 0 does not line up with the hole in either case. Now using the methos above I back off to BDC by 20 degrees. This places a mark just before the label by about 5-10 degrees. Now if I hook the timing light up to the rear cylinder and run it at 3000 rpms the 20 degree mark on the label, not my 20 degree mark, lines up with the hole. The screws are currently centered in the flywheel slots and the CDI is brand new and was ordered for an 02 virage. Do I need to use this label as the 20 or my calculated 20 degree mark I made?

+1
    Ok. Figured out the mystery. I pulled the flywheel, thanks to k447's procedure and a loaned tool from advance auto parts, and have determined whoever last worked on this thing was the worst mechanic ever. The flywheel key was missing completely. Gee, I wonder why timing was off? Amazing the pwc even ran at all. This makes like 10 parts so far that I have found missing from the ski. Think I may need to make sure there are pistons in the engine. :/ I will be re-assembling the pwc this morning and hopefully will have a solid running unit.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    ... Think I may need to make sure there are pistons in the engine. :/ ...
    Might want to confirm there are actually piston rings in there, per this guy

+1
    Our PWC's must have been owned by the same guy. I am not really into this whole some parts are not needed mentality.

+1
    With the Flywheel correctly installed the PWC runs better and made it to 6000rpm and 43mph. I know the carbs need e gone through. Ordering a rebuild kit today.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    With the Flywheel correctly installed the PWC runs better and made it to 6000rpm and 43mph. I know the carbs need e gone through. Ordering a rebuild kit today.
    What did you use for the woodruff key? Genuine Polaris OEM, or something generic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information