93 Yamaha VXR Pro 700 - Not getting fuel?

Hello all,

I just picked up a 93 Yamaha VXR Pro 700. At first I had trouble getting it started, so I put just a little gas in the carb and it started right up. Took it out on the lake and it ran fine for a half hour or so. As I was coming back to the dock I stopped and restarted the engine a couple times. The first couple times it fired right back up, but the last time it just cranked and wouldn't start. I looked down the carb while cranking and pulsing the throttle and did not see any gas coming in.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

PS -

I'm a new PWC owner, but am a veteran boater. I just found this forum, and the help and info here is great!

It seems that perhaps it is not getting enough vacuum to get gas to the carb when it isn't running, but once the engine is running it performs fine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    There is a small filter inside the carb on the fuel pump side of itthat usualy gets clogged up. Due to the age the best thing is to get a oem rebuild kit for the carb that has all new rubber parts that have become hard over time and replace them this should do the trick. Tommy Jordan

+1
    This is EXACTLY what happened with my '93 VXR pro 700. Got it running after sitting for at least a year after a good carb cleaning took it to the river and it ran for about an hour. A couple of stop/starts at the dock and finally nothing, but a click. I ran my starter really hard trying to bring this thing back to life so I figured it was my battery or my starter. It turned out to be my starter relay. I ended
    Up replacing that and my starter and started right up. Do you hear a click when you press the start button?

It is definitely not the starter. The machine cranks fine. It just seems that it isn't getting gas when the engine is "running" very slowly (aka starting), but that once the engine gets going, it seems to be able to pull the gas in (even at idle). 2fast4u, I think I'm going to put some seafoam in it and run it for a tank or two. If that doesn't help, then I'll do the carb rebuild. Are there any local places to buy the rebuild kit? Do dealers have them? I'm going to be traveling in the next week, so unless I can get it in quickly online I'd like to pick it up. How hard is a carb rebuild? I've done it on my snowblower before, but not anything this large. Thanks again everyone for your help.

+1
    Riva sells original Mikuni kits

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Riva sells original Mikuni kits
    This...rebuild the carb and see what happens.

Thread Information