XL1200 Limited Carb issue internal screw head stripped

Got what could be a big problem with my carbs. I was checking them out to see how things looked when I noticed the two Philips head screws you take off to expose the high/low jets, one of them is almost destroyed and another one in a different carb pretty much is. There is no indication of a Phillips pattern recognizable on one screw head (pretty much round as if drilled) and the other I may be able to take an impact driver to it. Iím not sure when the last time the high/low speed jets were changed. Everything else looked ok no creases in the fuel pump check valves, very little dirt in the filter and one arm was a little high when I checked with a razor. Didnít see a stripe across the fuel pump check valves like in some of the posts here, is this a sign of non mikuni parts? Any suggestions on how to get these screws out or should I just leave them alone? Iím working my way backwards from a lean runaway condition that only happens on the trailer when Iím running water through it with the hose. Pressure checked the engine 4 times, first 8 pounds for 8 minutes lost less than a quarter pound. Next 3 tests 10 pounds for 15 minutes lost maybe a pound consistently on each test. Thanks for the suggestions.

Got the screw out tonight. I used a drill master screw remover from HF. Now to find a replacement screw.

Impact screw driver next time.

+1

Gave that a try first but unfortunately there wasn’t enough left for it to grip. This thing looked as if someone took a drill to it, totally rounded out. Do you know if this is a standard screw I can get out of a box store or will I have to go to the dealer? Thanks.

Thread Information