Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: dumb question

dumb question

OK so my brother decided it would be a good idea to leave his ski in the lake for the summer .....on a lanyard......not tied up to the dock.........anyhow..ya the engine compartment was was completely flooded.....I drained the water out but how do I get the motor going again I know u can't just start it. There's more than likely water in the motor....( water was over the intake).....ya I laughed ....Also is there any kind of fuel shut off if this were to happen when you were on it.....like you tip it over thank guys .....oh ya almost forgot its a 2004 I believe freedome.....thanks again

Sorry guys freedom he also has a virage that he thinks has a battery issue.....it won't do anything ....battery is on order but it doesn't even crank ..or attempt to crank

+1
    I would do a complete tear down on the flooded engine. Rusty crank shaft bearings, rusted cylinder walls, rusted...

If you flip a ski over and get it righted in a timely manner, flooding the engine compartment is not an issue.

Well I took the head off .. .lol but then I realized that there is an internal head.....I didn't wanna mess with it only cause I don't have any new gaskets.....it wasn't flooded for a long time .....maybe a day we had some high winds here and the outer head looked fine......so I really don't believe anything got rusted

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How to recover a flooded 2-stroke engine that has water inside

Read up on what to do with a flooded engine. Time is the critical factor. The longer water sits inside the engine, the risk of rust becomes closer to inevitable.

The normal method, if the engine is still salvageable, goes like this;

• Immediately drain the hull.
    • Remove all spark plugs.
    • Crank the engine. Water will spew out of the spark plug holes.
    • Crank for 20 seconds or so, then pause to allow the starter motor to cool down. Then crank some more.
    • Keep cranking at intervals until there is very little water mist spraying out of the spark plug holes.
    • Dribble some 2-stroke oil down the spark plug holes. Crank the engine just for a few seconds to spread the oil.
    • Put the spark plugs back in, connect the plug wires.
    • Dribble some oil down the carburetor air intakes. This is to lubricate the crank case bearings. Just a spoonful or so, not a large amount of oil.
    • Turn the fuel valve on. Install the lanyard.
    • Set the choke or prime the engine as per normal cold starting.
    • Attempt to start the engine. It will probably NOT start.
    • Remove the spark plugs, dry them off, put back in.
    • Again try to start the engine.
    • Eventually if you are lucky the engine will cough and sputter and actually start running. If it starts and runs but is rough, keep it going with as little throttle and choke as it needs to keep running.
    • Hopefully as it warms up all the cylinders will start running and the engine will smooth out and respond to throttle squeezes
    • Do not run it for more then maybe 40 seconds at a time without water cooling.
    • As soon as you think it is running well enough to put it back in the water, do so.
    • If you can keep it strapped to the trailer on the launch ramp that is better. You can keep the seat off and run it as much as needed while observing the engine compartment.
    • The objective is to get the engine fully warmed up and then run it at speed with a load on the jet pump. The engine heat and RPM under load will drive most of the remaining water out of the engine internally.
    • After getting it running and dried out, liberally fog the warm engine with fogging oil before putting it away.
    • The fogging oil will penetrate the bearings and engine internals and help protect against rust.

If the engine has been sitting with water inside, the same process is used. But be aware that once rust has started inside the engine bearings, then engine will not last long when it is next ridden. Even surface rust on the bearings often means a short life remains for those bearings. When the bearings fail they may damage or destroy other parts of the engine.

So......what can I do if I can't get past crank engine with the plugs out..........it started to spit out water but after about 10 sec nothing.......like no crank like there's no battery ...did I fry the starter or a breaker .....I have no power at the starter relay though...I checked with a test light its all I have

+1
    You can check the breaker on top of the electrical box - push button reset. If that doesn't work, time to start looking inside the ebox....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 sl View Post
    So......what can I do if I can't get past crank engine with the plugs out..........it started to spit out water but after about 10 sec nothing.......like no crank like there's no battery ...did I fry the starter or a breaker .....I have no power at the starter relay though...I checked with a test light its all I have
    Just crank it using pliers to short together the two heavy red cable terminals on the solenoid.

You need to get the water OUT of the engine right away.

Do not touch the pliers to any other metal or wire, just those two studs.

+1
    Just how long has the engine been sitting flooded? I was under the impression that it had been flooded for months.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Just how long has the engine been sitting flooded? I was under the impression that it had been flooded for months.
    +1 - Complete teardown is in order here, IMHO.

You may get it going again, but it likely won't run for long....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information